Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs & O-rings

The equipment that I make my living repairing and rebuilding (air path and
    vacuum path spectrometers) use quite a few o-rings. These machines need to be air tight to operate properly. I also repair carbon/sulfur and
    nitrogen/oxygen analyzers. These machines are a small induction furnace
    that use nitrogen, helium and argon as carrier gasses. These also need to
    be air tight to operate properly.

Being that these GS's need to be sealed air tight, I think the GS would
    be a good use for this product. The intake o-rings and the inside of the
    intake boots would come to mind. I sure someone can think of more uses
    for it also.

Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease is a stiff, nonmelting silicone lubricating material and has much higher stability at the higher end of the temperature range(-40° C to 200° C), than hydrocarbon greases such as Apiezon® M, However, its initial room temperature pumpdown characteristics are not as quite as good taking noticeably longer to out-gas. This grease is very popular as a general laboratory lubricant, in large part to its low cost. The product is very popular as a stop cock grease as well as for use as an anti-seize grease in ground glass joints. It is the recommended replacement for Dow Corning Stop Cock Grease. Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease is also used to lubricate synthetic and silicone rubber gaskets being used in high temperature applications.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2010, 02:01 AM.

Where can you buy it from?

Comment

How much is it??

Comment

dow corning makes another great lube that i use for o-rings, its 111 in a green tube. I believe it's for valves but it is tacky to hold the o-rings in place.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Here's a source:
          McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

High vacuum grease.

There's probably enough in this tube to last the rest of your life. Considering how
            far a tube if this will go, $25.00s is really a good bargain. Heck you can go halves
            and split the tube with a friend.

I usually have so much stuff with me on a service call, I squeeze some into a
            little round tin instead of taking the whole tube. Lightens my load.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X