Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Camera Mount

This guy is selling some stuff really cheap. I ordered one

Will see if there is some rubber for compliance. If there is you can probably rig something up that will leverage the rubber mount and with a weighted camera it will isolate the image from the base motion.

I was motivated to do this becuase of Allies thread and the great results she got with some simple stuff she had laying around.

here is a link to some of the theory of generating mechanical isolation of the camera from the motorcycle.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM.

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered one too.
    Wonder if they are any good?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Thanks for the heads up, I ordered one too.
      Wonder if they are any good?
      I dont know, it will probably take me a few weeks to get it. For me I dont care too much as I'm actually gonna use it to mount my Innovate LM-2 for O2 measurements.

Found out last nite that the tank bag aint happinin

It is a mazing how much stiff is being sold from China that is under $5 and free shipping

Comment

here are some more various bits and pieces

I'm going to be using this as a quick release so once my camera is mounted for video, I can pull it off easily for a quick snap shot without having to unscrew it.

I have an Cannon SD600 which is really a pretty versitale camera even though it is a few years old at this point. I can always upgrade as well.

This is a higher quality ball mount but still small.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CBIQ8wIwAA#

Both of the above items will be mounted at the end of an arm that will mount to the handlebar. i dont have alot of room so I will mount off of my brake master using this modified mirror perch.

These work for mirrors, so teh only issue is overloading the rubber. That depends on how much the camera and mount weigh and how far you cantilever it out.

With the above I just need a straight peice of aluminum channel like this

I'm undecided at this point if I'll try and film through my little shaded wind screen or hold it just over the top.

Comment

I posted a video and a pic of my camera mount. I'm using an old Cannon SD630. It is a great little camera, but it is pre "IS" Image stabilization.

The old SD630 is an ELPH but now a days anything but the cheapest has IS even in the ELPH form factor.

List the route of your favorite ride or destination and let us know why you think it's so special.

I used some free software DESHAKER

Even thought the software is feeware it is very sophifticated. This video gives you some simple setup instructions .

And here you can compare the difference.

video_with_unstabilized_camera

video_with_Deshake

The Deshake takes a while to run so if you are just doing a few videos it is OK but I think the real deal is to go get a EPLD camera with image stabilization. I left the cropping in so you can get a sense of how the image is being manipulated to keep stabilization.

Comment

That is pretty impressive for a free piece of software.

The shifting to maintain stabilization kinda made me feel queasy. I wonder what it would do if you ran it on "The Blair Witch Project"?

Meh, probably still wouldn't make the movie any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
              That is pretty impressive for a free piece of software.

The shifting to maintain stabilization kinda made me feel queasy. I wonder what it would do if you ran it on "The Blair Witch Project"?

Meh, probably still wouldn't make the movie any better.
              I guess the subject matter is not the greatest, I'm basically rolling +/- 45 degrees in fairly rapid sucession.

Just experimenting on a reasonably arrangement for rally's that is small still allows for picture taking and where I don't spend $1000 and still end up with crappy video.

My buddy at work here says he has a Cannon G10 and after having a camera with stabilization he said he will not go back to non-IS

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I posted a video and a pic of my camera mount. I'm using an old Cannon SD630. It is a great little camera, but it is pre "IS" Image stabilization.

The old SD630 is an ELPH but now a days anything but the cheapest has IS even in the ELPH form factor.

List the route of your favorite ride or destination and let us know why you think it's so special.

I used some free software DESHAKER

Even thought the software is feeware it is very sophifticated. This video gives you some simple setup instructions .

And here you can compare the difference.

video_with_unstabilized_camera

video_with_Deshake

The Deshake takes a while to run so if you are just doing a few videos it is OK but I think the real deal is to go get a EPLD camera with image stabilization. I left the cropping in so you can get a sense of how the image is being manipulated to keep stabilization.
                I am seriously impressed with that deshaker software. That is very cool.

Comment

I hate computers. I downloaded it, was told I needed Virtual dub (which it turns out I already had) wouldn't install due to unknown file extension so did a search and was told to scan for registry errors. downloaded scanner, scanned. still no workee. chexked again. downloaded one promise then another. one advised it could fix if I paid for full copy (been down that track before with no result) so that got deleted. tried more then gave up. I hate computers

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                    I hate computers. I downloaded it, was told I needed Virtual dub (which it turns out I already had) wouldn't install due to unknown file extension so did a search and was told to scan for registry errors. downloaded scanner, scanned. still no workee. chexked again. downloaded one promise then another. one advised it could fix if I paid for full copy (been down that track before with no result) so that got deleted. tried more then gave up. I hate computers
                    colin the one link I provided had prety good instructions and said to use the latest version of virtual dub . The program does not install you just double click on the app icon in the folder. Deshacker is an add in that you copy to a plugin folder. With fresh install and using the uyube setu worked fine except a little slow

Comment

"it does not look like your system is configured to prperly view this file. You can continue, but the file you are trying to view may look wrong. Click the help button for information on viewing this file properly."

Help button suggests that maybe I should use 64 bit instead of 32 bit version of virtual dub. Tried both.

Thanks anyway, but I am over it now.

Comment

Hey posplayr, I used that Virtual Dub program with the deshake. It does a great job of removing the shaking but once it's saved, it takes up around 5 GB for only a 3 minute video! Maybe it's because I didn't compress it correctly How much memory did your vids take up?

Comment

Just bought the very same mount for 0.99 GBP with 1.28 GBP shipping off ebay. Will see how it performs.

Btw., it's amazing what the Chinese have to sell... and so cheap... for example a car camera for reverse driving/parking only 5 Pounds...

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                            Hey posplayr, I used that Virtual Dub program with the deshake. It does a great job of removing the shaking but once it's saved, it takes up around 5 GB for only a 3 minute video! Maybe it's because I didn't compress it correctly How much memory did your vids take up?
                            my first video was huge as well. I'm not sure why but when I follwed these directions it got smaller. Not sure which compression I used now, but the size came out slightly less that original instead of ballooning by 10 fold.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/watch?v=8-t5sRJkiFc

Comment

Originally posted by noobie View Post
                              Just bought the very same mount for 0.99 GBP with 1.28 GBP shipping off ebay. Will see how it performs.

Btw., it's amazing what the Chinese have to sell... and so cheap... for example a car camera for reverse driving/parking only 5 Pounds...
                              It is a pretty cheap mount but it will work with something reasonably light. I have a handheld Innovate LM-2 mounted to my bars at the moment.
                              All in all certainly worth the $1.50

Comment

Working...
                              X