Fuel Tank Sealent. Lesson learnt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Sealent. Lesson learnt

So last year I re-sprayed My GS1000G. after rebuilding it I discovered that it would not run at all. sometimes no start some time one carb stuck wide open. all very strange for a GS. I had the carbs of over four or five times to clean. Always a different part that was gummed up. after a while I reasoned that the common denominator had to be the fuel.

While I was prepping the tank for paint I noticed some rust inside so as a precaution I sealed it with a product called Pet-Seal This is a two part liquid epoxy system which I bought from my trusted local bike shop. Well within shelf life. So followed the instructions to the letter. However it did not work. I looked into the tank to discover that it did not cure properly (to be fair it looked ok before I put the first tank full of gas in but that is no consolation) an had started to peel away from the tank instead of forming the seal it was designed to do.
    So how to clean it out. I ended up with small rocks (the type you get in coarse concrete cos they are sharp and irregular) in the tank and many hours of shaking to remove the bits from the tank. then pouring out the stones and cleaning them. Each time I would stick the end of the vacuum cleaner hose into the tank while it was on and shake the tank again to suck up the dust. this was repeated over and over for three weeks.

The only solution for the carbs was to get the stripped and cleaned professionally. At some cost.

So lesson learnt. Never use any tank sealant. Cheaper to buy / repair tank.
    On the plus side the bike runs like new due in no small part to refurbished and leaned carbs.
    Also I can remove or refit GS1000G carbs in under five minutes now!

I've seen and heard too many satisfied users of Por15 to believe that all tank sealants are bad.

However, there are some that simply don't work. Kreem is another that's very common -- it seems to be sold in every bike shoppe -- but Kreem is completely worthless junk. We'll add Pet-Seal to the worthless list.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

All tank sealers can fail if not properly installed

Comment

Leave the sealer to cure for four days before filling with fuel.

Comment

There is a fair bit of vagueness in the instructions for some sealer kits (Por-15 included) regarding how long to allow the derusting sauce to work before sealing. Many of the sealer kits lead you to believe that you can seal over rust, but my advice is to FULLY derust the tank before attempting to seal - typically taking several DAYS of rotating every few hours to make sure the surface stays wet. One caveat is the phosphoric acid derusting solution will cause a chalky residue to form on the metal after a few day of soaking which should to be scrubbed off before sealing. It's a lot of work shaking the tank full of pea gravel or aquarium rocks to scrub the metal clean before sealing but it should be done if you want to assure the sealer holds onto the metal properly.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

need good product and good prep

also best to seal the tank before you ever start a new paint job

Comment

Generally i let the suace soak for 24 hrs..But the first thing i do is throw in a few hand full of dry aquarium rocks and work the inside over real well.This loosens all the scale that clings to the inside. Once i am satisfied i shake the rocks out the petcock hole, plug that off and fill with the soaking solution..It has been reported here that plain , full strenghrt white vinegar works very well to eat the rust out. Oh and by ROCKS I mean the small gravel that goes on the bottom.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

[QUOTE=bwringer;1268787] but Kreem is completely worthless junk QUOTE]

I put Kreem in the tank of my '68 Royal Enfield 750 Tourist Trophy Interceptor in '88. It was still doing its job perfectly almost 20 years later when I sold it. I don't believe that there was any change to it.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Kreem in two of my tanks..no peeling or failures..guess anything is junk if you dont do it right.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Kreem in two of my tanks..no peeling or failures..guess anything is junk if you dont do it right.
                    That's probably the case, but I will stick to POR 15.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Petseal is an excellent product - I've used it loads of times with no problems whatsoever. However, you must do the dummy run test every time; I use an empty bean tin as a substitute. If it doesn't set try the test again or throw the tin of Petseal away (um, take to your local recycling centre...).

I also reckon there is some rogue stuff being sold branded as Petseal as your problem has been reported quite a lot over the last year or so. Phone them up and chat it through with them - their reputation is on the line and they've been the market leader for a long time.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Two most common errors i run into is that people want to rush and not do the acid etching long enough and then they dont let the coating cure long enough..24 hrs of etching isnt gonna eat thru your tank and if it does it was junk before you started. The coating i let dry for 4 to 6 days and i use a small fan on low to blow across the filler neck to kepp a bit of air circulating in there as well to help the curing process and vent off fumes.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Two most common errors i run into is that people want to rush and not do the acid etching long enough and then they dont let the coating cure long enough..24 hrs of etching isnt gonna eat thru your tank and if it does it was junk before you started. The coating i let dry for 4 to 6 days and i use a small fan on low to blow across the filler neck to kepp a bit of air circulating in there as well to help the curing process and vent off fumes.
                          Best advise ever, I am doing 3 tanks right now 2 Yamahas and 1 trike. It takes time at least a week to properly do a tank. POR-15 is good stuff is you dont rush and take your time.

Comment

Just a thought but could it be maybe that the ethanol that they are now adding to much of the gasoline in the US could be having an adverse effect on otherwise good tank lining materials?
                            I know that it eats fiberglass in good shape as well as some plastics and softens some older material fuel lines. I learned the latter when my 93 SkiDoo lost a tank of gas in the yard due to the fuel line getting really soft and swelling up and falling off the fitting. I understand that they were 93 lines and were probably due to be changed but I had just had them off to change the fuel filter like a year before the leak and they seemed tight and normally flexible. Not the like the mussy spongy things I found when I noticed it was leaking.
                            Like I said, just a thought. Maybe the tank liner chemists never considered the possibility of so much ethanol being in the fuel mix.

Ride safe!

Comment

I did mine with some muriatic acid before I did the por15 solutions.. seemed to come out well and I saw nothing but grey metal before I sealed it.. has been sitting curing for a week waiting on some new coils

Comment

Working...
                              X