Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread repair

Has anyone used this,

Seems to be a good answer for the threads to tighten to valve cover down. I may try it unless someone steers me clear?

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
    Has anyone used this,

Seems to be a good answer for the threads to tighten to valve cover down. I may try it unless someone steers me clear?

I have used this but you need to make sure the hole is very very clean.
    Not a permanent solution a stop-gap measure but it works

the gas tank sealer these guys make is amazing stuff.

Comment

Am I better off using a helicoil.

Comment

Am I better off using a helicoil.
        If you have sufficient room to work and enough aluminum "meat" around the stripped threads to accommodate the Helicoil, that's what I'd prefer. Some of the valve cover bolt holes in the head don't have a lot of extra material to work with.

If you want to get picky, there are solid thread inserts that are much better, but they get rather expensive. A Helicoil should work fine in this application.

If you can get the hole clean enough, there's a good chance that the epoxy repair goop will do the trick -- there's not a whole lot of stress on a 6mm bolt, after all.

You could also re-tap the hole to 7mm and hog out the valve cover hole a bit, but that's more than a little bit ghetto. The next owner will probably swear a bloody oath of vengeance against you unless you warn him about the one oddball bolt...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I think I'll give that stuff a shot. I just can't stand the price of a new valve cover gasket since I can't make my own. Damn half moons.

Comment

I think I'll give that stuff a shot. I just can't stand the price of a new valve cover gasket since I can't make my own. Damn half moons.
            the stuff is worth a shot
            it closed up a valve train leak for me long enough for the internet and eaby to be born
            im not kidding
            89 to 2005 or so

Comment

I was reading about it, you put the release agent on the bolt and the other stuff in the female threads and screw it in for about 2 hours?

Comment

I was reading about it, you put the release agent on the bolt and the other stuff in the female threads and screw it in for about 2 hours?

it a chemical thing but it does work for low torque situations
                I find it odd the would have not reduced the time by now

regardless you are basically creating your won threads in teh goo by threading in the bolt

worht the ten buck more than worht it

Comment

Hell yeah, helicoil kit $40+ Timesert's $150+

Permatex $10. I in no way can bring myself to spend that much money to bolt a cover on. Everything adds up too quick.

Comment

Timesert's $150+
                    Not quite. Throw a Peeper here. ---------> Timesert Pricing

Comment

Originally posted by TSCC View Post
                      Not quite. Throw a Peeper here. ---------> Timesert Pricing
                      Not bad, I think the bolts are M7 though which is an odd size.

Comment

Ranger, pull the cap in question & bring to my house. I will Helicoil it for a 6 pack of Newcastles & drink them with you afterwards. I have the Helicoil kit & drill presses to do them CORRECTLY & do them all the time. The 1150s have the same cam caps. I am 3 blocks from Disneyland. Ray.
                        Last edited by rapidray; 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          it a chemical thing but it does work for low torque situations
                          I find it odd the would have not reduced the time by now

regardless you are basically creating your won threads in teh goo by threading in the bolt

worht the ten buck more than worht it

I'd use a new bolt to ensure that the threads are as clean and sharp as possible, but yep, that's the idea.
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            Ranger, pull the cap in question & bring to my house. I will Helicoil it for a 6 pack of Newcastles & drink them with you afterwards. I have the Helicoil kit & drill presses to do them CORRECTLY on & do them all the time. The 1150s have the same cam caps. I am 3 blocks from Disneyland. Ray.

The OP was only talking about a valve cover bolt, not a cam cap. But you are one awesome dude for making that offer.

Say "hey" to Mickey for us!
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Ranger, pull the cap in question & bring to my house. I will Helicoil it for a 6 pack of Newcastles & drink them with you afterwards. I have the Helicoil kit & drill presses to do them CORRECTLY on & do them all the time. The 1150s have the same cam caps. I am 3 blocks from Disneyland. Ray.
                              Helicoil is what I'd do too. Fix the problem the right way, no disco repairs.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X