No announcement yet.

Here is something i just rqan across

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the procedure was to put the tank in Scotty's lap tap his hand to his ankles so that he wraps tightly around the tank and then put the tank Scotty and all in the dryer.

Scotty should cushion the tank nicely when tumbling so that it will not be dented. Scotty can also watch to make sure the sand doesn't leak out of the tank.

Mike

Comment

You need to have water in there as well as sand. More water than sand if it is going to work.

That poor ol' drier is going to cop a caning. Better go over to your Folk's place and use their drier. :-)

Anyway, what's wrong with rust? Back in the 1960s they used to make Fords out of it and it seemed OK then.

Kim

Comment

I think them fellers from Florida come up with some really weird stuff at times. A bike tank in a dryer? Come on, must be something in the water down there?

:P

Comment

2 '1500 size' BB cartons would be a good sub for the sand....

Comment

Just did my tank. Filled at 1/3 with sand and 1/3 with premium gas. Found a back road with lots of washboard and did a 100Km/hr blast for about 10 minutes. Pulled the tank and carbs and cleaned all the sand out throughly, resealed the tank with POR-15 and put everything back together. The fuel comes out clear with no rust residue at all. Funny problem though, the bike now seems to smoke more than it did before.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

garbage bags?

wouldnt garbage bags melt in dryer to tank??dryers are hot

Comment

Hi, After reading all the great replys. Some thing I have used is napa. It is a harsh thinner for paint & if you get it on a finish, will eat it if not wiped off & let sit on it. I put in about a gallon & try to shake the tank around & look to see the rust colored napa is getting darker or the same & know it's done. I wouldn't try B/B's sand, as I would be afraid I wouldn't get it all out & when riding, would stall from lack of gas & would happen about 30 miles from home. Mostly you want to make shure you don't get fine rust in the filter. Anyone try an acid yet? diluted & let sit for 24 hrs? How about the stuff you put in the thermos to get rid of stains, forget what it's called, "neet"? but, the wife cleans my thermos with it & the stainless gets looking like new. ( not baking soda ither ) When she wakes up I'll ask. Never-never wake a woman up, gets ugly. Dave

Comment

ya know, its really not that bad of an idea. The only issue is that it might be hard to get all the sand out. All you nay-sayers just must not have discovered duct tape

Comment

bb's

fill the tank half full of bb's tape fill hole shut, then strap it to the back of a friends harley hard tail and have him go for a cruise. it should be shiny and new when he gets back. or after you go pick him up from beside the road

Comment

prop up a car and duct-tape the tank to the driving wheel.....

Comment

I'm actually considering this idea....

I have an '83 GS750ES needing to be torn down and gone over from the contact patch up this winter and it has some light rust in the tank.

I've been leary of acid etching the tank, with or without Kreeming or POR-15ing it after due to future rust worries...sounds like it leaves it more open to rust... and it seems like Kreem is hit or miss with it peeling later...other than that it seems like it always peels SOMETIME later. I'd prolly go with POR-15 anyway since I've had good luck with other products from them.

Anyway I think if I taped off all the holes with packing tape and then duct tape over that, then open one of the holes and add some very corse blasting media or BBs and tape the hole back up again...double bag the whole thing....duct tape a couple of old pillows around it... duct tape a blanket or two around that... or better yet some thick foam padding...and toss it all in the dryer..

It just might work! No heat in the dryer of course...prolly an old junker at the appliance repair shop down the road actually.

As another idea I could just pack the tank in towels and blankets inside the drier (bagged!) so that it turns but doesn't really get banged around much... I'd babysit the thing anyway so I could always add more padding if it started to bang much....

BBs would be easy to get out and I think a good size blasting media wouldn't be too bad with a few wands on my air gun and some time. No matter what I'd be running an inline filter, I just can't see why you wouldn't.

Always thinkin....sometimes smart,
                        Mac

Comment

I have one word for everyone....
                          Cement Mixer.
                          Oh... That's two words.

Using a liner and loads of pillows or an inflated inner tube or bungee cords or a noisy nephew or whatever strikes your fancy, fix the tank in the middle of the mixer after adding sand. Turn it on.
                          Return 60 minutes later after watching Motorcycle shows.

Someone mentioned different grits and blasting supplies.
                          Almost all blasting grits are extremely fine rather than coarse enough to remove rust by their own weight.
                          I'm sticking with electrolysis.

Comment

Originally posted by dwarf8
                            I'm sticking with electrolysis.
                            Do you have a hairy tank?

Comment

Good posts.

The good points are

If you use a dryer - use BB's - not sand. The sand will be hard to get out.
                              If a media is used - I would also use "rust out" powder which is acidic.

The acid will etch the rust and remove some - neutralize the surface. It's is used to stop rusting in bodywork.

These remedies work for a lightly rusted tank. More than that - get another tank.

My GS had a lightly rusted tank. I just kept it filled and ran an in-line fuel filter - and never had a problem....

'course, I had the darn carburators off every 3 weeks rejetting the bike......

Comment

I had the problem of a rusty tank with my old kawasaki. What worked best was to get some fish tank rocks, put them in the tank and shake the crap out of it for a while. Once finished, dump out what you can of the rocks, and then what you can't dump out well, duct tape a small hose to the hose on the shop vac and suck them out.
                                I did this and it worked great, never had a problem with any sort of clogging or anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X