No announcement yet.

Here is something i just rqan across

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used a chain to get the rust out of an automobile gfuel tank and it worked pretty well. I would use a small chain like a dog chain or something. The chain is very easy to get out too. This method worked well for the car, I don't see why it wouldn't work for the bike too.

Comment

Does anyone actually have a dryer big enough to get a tank through the door?

Iv'e got an EFE and no way that suckers going in my dryer, with or without scotty wrapped around it.

But if you wanna get it really clean, tie it to the bottom of your lawn mower

It'll spin that mother up big time, may not do your seams much good though. 8O

Look impressive too :mrgreen:

chalk10

Comment

tank cleaner

Wait a min guys,
        why go to all the bother of chancing a damaged tank and other goodies,
        just take your tank to a radiator shop and have them clean out the rust by dipping it in a rust cleaner and they can even coat it if u wish and the cost is minimal. $50.00 canadian or $38.00 US.

The other method is to use large steel shot as in shotgun shot in BB or OO buck shot and put it in your tank with the petcock and with in tank filter in place and ride your bike and in no time the tank will be as shinny as new. The large size of the steel shot will allow the fuell to flow through the filter while riding your bike and removing the rust at the same time.But remember to use an inline filter to trap any rust particles and clean or replace the filter often until the desired result have been achived.
        And to remove the steel shot just remove the petcock and let the shot run out of the tank. Use a magnet to get any remaining shot out of your tank.

Best of luck guys, Archie

Comment

Sand tank repair

Just rent a small cement mixer, towable or portable, and do the same "wrap and roll" routine in it. Save your relationship with your parent or significant other.

Comment

Cripes, I'll just make sure to keep my tank clean and rust free.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Use whatever large items you can reasonably shove in there (nuts, bolts, chain, depleted uranium, etc.) in order to loosen up the big rust. Rinse with a mild acid solution, dry in a low humidity environment, Kreme, install fuel filter, fill with gas, ride. BY NO MEANS TUMBLE THE DAMNED TANK IN A DRIER!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

O yeah, don't forget to shake the crap out of the tank once the large ordnace has been inserted.

Comment

This reminds me when i was a kid and was playing hide and seek. We were at a laundry mat and I'd crawled into one of those big dryers and close the door thinking they will never find me.

It worked they just walked right by me when I was going round and round. That paddle flip me around like I was a cotton ball, I think my foot must have hit the door and caused it to stop.....thank God.

My shoulder still hurts just thinking of that.

PS make sure there is no more dimes in the timer.. and you'll should of seen the look on the other folks faces when i crawed out
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

took my kids to laundry with me Daughter was 10 son was 5. Kids were playing games and running around they came up and asked for quarters, I thought they wanted candy so I gave them each a quarter. Needless to say Daughter talked her brother into getting in the dryer and dropped the quarter in and started him tumbling. A gal there got my attention and said your sons in the dryer I think he's done.

Comment

aleins have bumped there head

beam me up scotty, i think a little to much inbreeding gone on :arrow: [-X there

Comment

Cleaning a rusty tank the easy way (I think)

I just tried it!

Cleaning a rusty tank the easy way (I think)

We?ve all heard about filling a rusty gas tank with some sand or gravel, then shaking the crap out of it to remove the rust. The problem is then getting the sand out of the tank when you?re finished. Someone mentioned using old nuts and bolts instead of sand. You still have to get them out. Here?s what I just did with, what seems to be, pretty good results.

I tossed a bunch of old nuts and bolts in the tank. I taped all the holes up, wrapped the tank in a thick blanket secured by three bungee cords. I placed this bundle inside two plastic garbage bags. I then put the tank in the clothes dryer and placed blankets and pillow all around it so it would not bounce around. I turned it on with NO HEAT and let it run for an hour and a half. I then took the tank outside and blew it out with a leaf blower (fit right in the filler hole), blowing rust dust out the petcock hole and the sender unit hole. I then took a flexible magnetic ?pick-up?, stuck it inside the tank, and began extracting all the screws and bolts! Worked like a champ!

Now I blew the tank out again and flushed it several times with a garden hose till clean water ran out. After emptying the tank as much as possible, I propped the leaf blower against the wall with the end sticking in the filler hole. I turned it on and let it run for over 30 minutes to dry any residual water left in the tank.
                        Looking inside as far as I can, it seemed to remove about 90% of the rust?what?s left appears to be more stain than rust, but I can?t be sure.

Here?s my question?what do I do now? Is it safe to put the tank back on and try to use it (after cleaning carbs and lines)? Or, do I need to pour something in it to line the tank?
                        Thanks,
                        Twister

Comment

If you have any rust left in the tank and try to seal it, the rust will eventually eat through. It's tough! It's either all or nothing.

I used this stuff on my wifes VW that I restored and it took out all of the rust and sealed the tank.

Comment

Working...
                          X