No announcement yet.

When is a tank too far gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Care Products has been suppying the trade and private restorers with quality products, for cleaning and coating Motorcycle tanks, and small vehicle tanks. We also carry out tank repairs and restoration, and a quality paintwork service.

If you don't want to take it on yourself.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

My tank is all good as far as I can tell guys. The paint is pretty new and well done. The underside looks all solid is just the insides that are crappy. Doesn't look to be any rust just lots of plasticy coating peeling off. I do mind giving it a go myself cleaning it out but don't wanna wreck the paint nor do I want a pro shop to bugger it up either. I am gonna get it right to start with though. The plan is- make sure tank innards are clean. Fit new pet cock new lines then take the carbs apart and clean. Not sure about dipping as not set up for that. I'm in the UK so I'm not sure I've got access to the noxious chemicals you guys have lol

Comment

OK don't really want to thread jack but if anyone is interested , I have this 78 1000 tank in need of love
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I've coated a few tanks in the last couple of years with Red Kote, using 2 applications. I am really pleased with the end product. It's thick, sticks like crazy and is tougher than nails. One tank was a homemade job that had a dozen leaks. I puddled a small amount of it on a board to see what it was like set up and cured and some impressive stuff. It is very forgiving if you can't get the tank really well cleaned as well.
          Last edited by wymple; 11-16-2015, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X