Do-it yourself GS hitch and trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srivett
    As for accidents, my trailers tongue is only held on by two 1/4" carriage bolts. If the trailer gets hit it will be LONG GONE before I even feel it. That's the plan anyway, my safety chains are on the tongue too so they don't really do anything.

Steve
    I don't get what you mean by "they don't really do anything," Steve. Safety chains are primarily designed to keep the trailer from running away if the ball fails, or if you forget to lock down the tongue to the ball. That being the case, your chains ought to work as advertised.

On the other hand, if you get hit hard enough that the carriage bolts break, you've got a lot more to worry about than whether the trailer goes on an independent excursion...

Steve 8)

Comment

It's done! I took the rig for a little ride between innings and it doesn't handle too badly. I will have to get a 1380 kit and go down a few teeth on the front sprocket though...

As for the shakedown ride, I need to lower the pressure in the trailer tires and grease the slipper springs. I had the trailer on one wheel for a while which isn't odd for a trailer in Sudbury but I believe a bit of tuning can prevent it from happening on every block. The weight is now much lower than a full top box so the bike handles a bit better with the trailer empty. We'll see how she handles with 50-100 pounds of luggage later this week.

Steve

Comment

I saw a Goldwing in Drumheller Alberta a couple of years ago with an interesting trailer. On closer inspection, it turns out the guy had fabricated the box from an old (ca.1950's?) refrigerator, so the door was now the top lid, with the original latch. The rounded top and 'streamline' style gave it a great look, as well as the retro, bullet-style lights. I didn't pay much attention to the running gear, but the overall impression was that it was a beautifully crafted job.

You didn't say what your trailer would be for Steve; I've been very impressed by these items lately: http://www.leesurelite.com/index.htm
        A guy in Wetaskiwin AB was selling 'Kamperoos', imported from Australia, but these LeeSure Lites are made in BC, and probably a lot cheaper.

Comment

My trailer was going to be used for carrying camping gear. I took it a bit longer ride a few weeks ago and at 80 km/hr the trailer causes the bike to wobble. It could be a fault of the design (too long) or it could be caused because the trailer wasn't packed with enough weight. Either way, the trailer is on the back burner until next year. I've decided to buy a car to use this winter instead of spend my money on travelling. For the last two winters I'd used my 400 as winter transportation but I'll be too far away from my destinations this year.

Steve

Comment

Steve, are you ever going to post those long anticipated pics of your work?? Inquiring minds would like to see them!

Steve 8)

Comment

Here we go.

Comment

Nice job on the hitch!

After seeing the trailer, I wonder if the wobble problem isn't due to the trailer being improperly balanced. It looks as if the majority of the weight (especially when packed) is to the rear of the axle, which could cause the tongue to exert an upward force on the bike and cause instability. You'll notice that on cars and trucks the recommended tongue weight is generally in the 200 pound range. On a bike I'd guess that if you have anything less than 50 pounds at the tongue you might have difficulties with handling. Obviously you'll want to check with a pro to find out what is considered the "norm" for a bike trailer, but the picture suggests a trailer that is too light up front, even when packed.

Good Luck,
                Steve 8)

Comment

on cars and trucks the recommended tongue weight is generally in the 200 pound range.
                  The unofficial "rule of thumb" is that the tongue weight should be ~10% of the total trailer weight; so for a typical light trailer, 2000 lb. gross rating, the recommended tongue weight for the loaded trailer is 200 lbs.

I agree, from the pictures, it looks like the trailer axle is a bit further forward than it ought to be. With careful loading (heavier items nearer the front, as necessary to get the 10% tongue weight, and secure from sliding rearward) you will probably find it works pretty well.

Nice workmanship!

Comment

Yeah, the first thing I noticed when completed was that I made the box too long. When empty the trailer has a neutral tongue weight. My plan is to put the spare tire and my tools in the very front and sleeping bags and pillows at the back. Unfortunately winter is coming and I have too many other projects to complete so the trailer won't be used this year.

Steve

Comment

As usual my plans are never final. The strap steel that goes to the blinker mounts are either going to be dropped altogether or modified to attach to the upper spring mounts. I will be making a flatdeck for the trailer and attaching the lights to the tops of the fenders. The relocated straps will make it easier to remove the hitch and the flatdeck will reduce the weight of the trailer and hopefully make it handle better. I only used the trailer once and I did not like how it handled. If that doesn't work the trailer will only used behind my car.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Steve - On another note: Are those PS rear shocks? Do you run the light or heavy springs? Would you choose a different spring if you could do it again? Just how beefy are you, anyway? I have the new shocks waiting while I choose which springs to buy. I weight 205lbs and rarely carry a passenger. Thanks, Al.

Comment

Steve,
                          Be careful with tail light placement. They likely have to be within a certain distance of the rear of the trailer, so as to be visible from angles other than directly behind.

SV

Comment

SV: Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot that most tail lights have side markers built in. I was going to wrap the trailer in reflective tape later on but it would not be very visible as it is now.

Al: I have 105/150 springs on my bike. I also weigh 200 and it was necessary to set the shocks to the second harshest setting to compensate for Sudbury roads. Anything less and my bike would bottom out constantly! When I was living in Ottawa I had the shocks set to the lowest or second lowest setting and rode in comfort. I would say that this spring rate is acceptable for our weight in any road condition as long as there is only one person on the bike. I'm sure I'd need heavier springs to take a passenger on a blast through Sudbury.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
                              Al: I have 105/150 springs on my bike. I also weigh 200 and it was necessary to set the shocks to the second harshest setting to compensate for Sudbury roads.
                              Thanks for the info. Al.

Comment

I solved my wiring problem today. The ground from the frame to engine must be in poor condition because I installed the tail light converter on my car and it works well with the LED trailer lights.

I also took the trailer for another short ride. I dropped my tire pressure down to 5PSI and I still get a wobble above 70 km/hr so the trailer isn't safe. This time I didn't have the hitch to tail section struts in place so that may be part of the problem. It seems to me that the rear passenger mounts aren't strnog enough either because they can be deflected fairly easily. If I had a welder I'd make a new hitch welded to the centre stand feet because I've seen this method work. :?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X