Do-it yourself GS hitch and trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

Did you ever work out the tongue weight so that the proper amount was resting on the hitch? If not, that could still account for the wobble you're experiencing. Also, have you double checked to make sure the ball is located at the exact centerline of your wheels? If it's off even slightly it could contribute to wobble and sway -- keep in mind this would not be nearly as noticeable behind a car.

Look forward to the update!

Steve 8)

Comment

I went for a rip with the naked frame and it handled quite well! I wasn't scared for once so there is something wrong with my box design that causes the wobble. I am going to see about getting a beer cooler and making a partial flatbed this time around. This means I will have to mount the spare tire under the trailer (although the sidewalls aren't flexed at a standstill running 5PSI may be pretty hard on the tires so I don't want to go without a spare). I didn't have the struts on the back this time either so I think I'll forget about using them. I just hope the passenger pegs don't fatigue and snap on me. Anything mechanical engineers in the house?

Back to the wiring, what a pain! I will have to rewire the bike totally if I ever hope to have those stupid LEDs working properly. If I run a jumper wire from the battery to the headlight fuse the headlight brightens. If I do this to the signal fuse the rest of the lights stop flickering with the blinkers. This doesn't totally fix the LED issue but it makes them a bit better for daylight operation. :twisted:

PS Two chains in this photo

Steve

Comment

I would wish to add a few thoughts. Your tongue weight is going to be the most crucial item for stability. Any thought into the braking process IE what is your GVW when you have full wet bike with you and all the gear and trailer, does this exceed your brakes rated capacity? Let me get this straight, you attached your hitch mounts to the passenger footpegs mount? you have only (2) 1/4" grade 5 bolts holding the hitch assembly to the bike and safety chains attached to the hitch? I trully hope your local "law enforcement" don't stop you as I do believe you would get cited for an unsafe vehicle. When considering pulling a trailer with anything these are some of the most critical things to think about, there are more but these were some I feel you have failed to consider. You are trying to use a sport bike as a utility vehicle, I suppose you try to hammer a nail in with a screwdriver, or loosen a bolt with a hammer. Kudos on the creativity, but go get yourself a small station wagon for hauling crap and enjoy that bike the way it was meant to be. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
        X