GS 8 valve adjustment tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 8 valve adjustment tips

Bought a Motion Pro Suzuki valve adjustment tool and a shim kit. First valve
    adjust on the project bike (1980 GS1000L). I had checked clearances with
    my trusty old set of Craftsman feeler gauges. Clearances on all valves were
    too skinny to allow my .051mm blade under the cam lobe on all valves. That
    is the thinnest blade on my set and is fine for doing Z1 or KZ900/1000 valve
    clearances where the smallest clearance is .051mm.

Sorry, I do this in metric...

Tip 1.
    Anyway, had to buy a BIKEMASTER brand set of feeler gauges from eBay as
    one of their sets has .03mm and .04mm blades... the two blades are like
    paper and care must be taken so as to not bend and ruin them when in
    use.

Tip 2.
    The K&L 29.5mm shim kit has two each of a variety of shims. The kit comes
    in a nifty box with shim sizes marked (although they are marked incorrectly) and
    includes two each of the following sizes:
    2.30 2.40 2.50 2.55 2.60 2.70 2.80 2.85 2.90 3.00

Not sure if you have ever adjusted clearances using shims but the 2.80, 2.85,
    2.90 and 3.00 are unlikely to be used. Most factory fitted shims are 2.50 to
    2.70 on shim over bucket valve trains. Since you will be using SMALLER sizes
    to get the necessary clearances as the valve seats wear in, you will be better
    off buying some 2.40 to 2.70 shims... My valves had likely never been clearanced
    and were all in the 2.80 to 2.65 range so I needed and will need to buy additional
    2.55 and 2.60 shims. I couldn't swap around and get all clearances within
    spec and won't be able to until I get a 2.60 in my fingers.

Tip 3. After you change a shim, roll the engine over so the cam lobe depresses
    the shim you just changed out. It will squish out the oil between the bucket and
    shim and make you clearance check meaningful. If you check after just tossing
    the shim in the bucket. it will show a lot less clearance with the oil under the shim.

Tip 4. Record current clearances after checking and rechecking and what shim you
    have in. This will save you time next time you do this job.

Hope this helps someone...

Thanks Geol; you can find instructions on valve adjustments (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...lve_adjust.pdf) and many other tips at Basscliff's website - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/. Additionally, the shim club run by Ghostgs1 is useful for changing out the shims and it's free. Finally, email Steve (name and username) for his valve adjustment spreadsheet to help record your change information.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This is one of those times when a little patience pays off. The K&L shim kit at around $120-$125 is very expensive for the few usable shims you get (you're very unlikely to ever need the 2.70 and larger on a GS) plus it skips several sizes. It's a starting point, but not a very good one.

The best starting point would be to see what shims are in your bike during the first valve check, figure out what you need then and there, and also make some predictions -- the exhaust shims, for example, tend to lose clearance faster. Take that same $125 or so, do a little pondering, and you could order 25 individual shims (they're $4.83 each at http://z1enterprises.com ) in sizes that you'll actually need. Hit up Harbor Freight for a nice plastic compartment box and a sharpie and in a few days you'll be set for the foreseeable future.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        -- the exhaust shims, for example, tend to lose clearance faster.
        Nice to know.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          This is one of those times when a little patience pays off. The K&L shim kit at around $120-$125 is very expensive for the few usable shims you get (you're very unlikely to ever need the 2.70 and larger on a GS) plus it skips several sizes. It's a starting point, but not a very good one.

The best starting point would be to see what shims are in your bike during the first valve check, figure out what you need then and there, and also make some predictions -- the exhaust shims, for example, tend to lose clearance faster. Take that same $125 or so, do a little pondering, and you could order 25 individual shims (they're $4.83 each at http://z1enterprises.com ) in sizes that you'll actually need. Hit up Harbor Freight for a nice plastic compartment box and a sharpie and in a few days you'll be set for the foreseeable future.
          I figured out that the shim kit wasn't a great idea AFTER I bought one. I have since bought a handle ful shims in more useful sizes and have a good stash of shims now. I also sent a note to Z1Enterprses.com where I bought the kit and K&L telling them that their selection doesn't make much sense.

Comment

The K&L kit is what it is. Jeff also sells the box empty and you can buy individual shims to suit your needs. You might find the Shim Club beneficial.
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

The Shim Club rocks!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X