No announcement yet.

Want some more on-board storage? Dial up warning- many pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done the same thing with the stock airbox for the 1000L. The hardware store had rubber caps for some tpye of plumbing application.

For a $1.50, picked up a cap the right diameter and cut it down to the correct height. If you use the lid off the airbox, it makes a nice dry secure storage area.

This should work on any bike that came with a two piece air cleaner assembly, when switching over to pods.

I could also post pictures if anyone would like. (need to figure how someday anyway :? )

greg

Comment

Ok, everyone has shown me up by already doing this mod. But mine can be removed in a matter of seconds, I use this as a really good tool kit, and it helps to be able to pull the whole bin out. My rear air box requires the tank and cross support to be removed and lifted to pull it out.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Ok, everyone has shown me up by already doing this mod. But mine can be removed in a matter of seconds, I use this as a really good tool kit, and it helps to be able to pull the whole bin out. My rear air box requires the tank and cross support to be removed and lifted to pull it out.
        Well I wasn't trying to show you up buddy I was supporting your idea as a good one by offering to show another member who has done it and liked it.

Not to be outdone mine also pops out is a second flat yet is very secure as it is velcro attached to the top of the battery and the hinged lid velcros shut as well with a pull cord to open it. It was really quite simple to make and keeps your goods safe, secure and dry. It is an excelent idea and one that works very well.

Kudos man

Comment

Sorry man, I certainly meant no disrepect ! My little stash box wasn't anything original, just chiming in on the need for a little storage space on these bikes.

The "L" has a funky shaped rear half that just slips down into place without have to be attached in anyway. It can be removed as a unit or opened while on the bike by removing the seat.

Comment

Jethro, I didn't know the airbox was that hard to remove on the 1100's. The airbox on the 1000's just sets in place and you don't even have to put the mounting screw back in so you can just lift it out when you have, too. Real easy. Looks like you found a great way to do the same thing on the 1100's.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Greg Wasserott Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry man, I certainly meant no disrepect !
              Oh I'm just messing around!

Jethro, I didn't know the airbox was that hard to remove on the 1100's.
              Yeah Mark, it's unbelievable! On my 81 1100, the rear air box and battery can just simply pull out, but on the 83 the tank mount needs to be removed. When I first got the 83 I was wondering why they would have made the tank mount screw fastened to the frame. When I tried to pull the battery, I found out! I actually don't know if the airbox can come right out- my bike doesn't have one.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X