Rear Tire Bead Came Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire Bead Came Loose

Probably didn't describe it right but I jumped on the 550T last night for the second ride this week and discovered I had a nasty flat when the needle kept hissing back at me after trying to air the back tire up. When I looked at it more closely today, I noticed part of the tire is pushed into the interior of the rim as though the bead isn't set anymore. I'm sure I'll need to replace the tube but will I also need to replace the tire or does it just need to be remounted?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

You won't know till you get it apart & see what went wrong. Just guessing, nothing wrong with tire but how did air get out of tube. Find hole in tube, lay tube on tire with valve stem at proper place then look & feel inside tire to see if anything in tire at location of hole in tube, nail or wire. then decide what it needs. Best would be a leaking valve core, if that lucky put in new valve core & put it all back together.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Like rphillips said, you need to look at the whole picture first, before you determine how little you can get away with, or how much need to be done.

Comment

It's a tube type rim so there is nothing keeping the tire seated on the rim when deflated.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not doubting you, Ed. I would have thought that all '81's would have had tubeless rims. Was there an across the board change on all models to Tubeless at a certain year? Just curious.

Scott, What does is read on the rim?
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The 1981 GS550T originally came with tubes front and rear.

Anyway, yeah, all I can say it that it happens that way sometimes. It's more likely if the bike was ridden while it was going flat. Tubes tend to go flat a lot more quickly than tubeless tires.

What kind of tire is it?

Most GS tires these days are tube/tubeless (IOW, they can be used tubeless if the wheel allows) and the beads on these are a fair bit tighter than tube-type tires. The beads usually (but not always) stay on the wheel when there's a flat with these.

If the tire is a tube-type, then it's a little more likely for a bead to come off. These tend to be pretty loose on the wheel.

To sum up, this is not unusual. Unless there's some other reason to replace the tire (damage, age, cracking), you probably don't need to, unless you'd just feel better, or it's a situation where you are doing the same amount of work, so you might as well go ahead and replace it early.
            Last edited by bwringer; 07-05-2022, 08:19 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Nothing simple as when Suzuki did the Tubeless wheels. My "80" GS1000G had tube on one end & tubeless on the other. My "83" GS1100E, newer design (non snow flake) wheel, does not say for tubeless on either end. The last Suzuki model, with cast wheels, that required tubes may be interesting.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

What punctured the tube? Better find that! or just the valve failed?

I would have thought that all '81's would have had tubeless rims. Was there an across the board change on all models to Tubeless at a certain year? Just curious.
                No, my 81s have alloy rims and warnings they are not tubeless. I think (until corrected ) that This is true of all the alloy 80-81? "Star" looking rims ...However, the only observable difference from the "Y-ish?"tubeless rims of '82(?) is the valve hole that is made for a tube. Several here have redrilled to suit tubeless valves and use tubeless without tubes ok.

I think these"star" rims were
                A) not certified worldwide in time for model release
                B) failed tests and certification

Comment

Thank you all. Because I lost my shop with my friend moving, I must borrow space in Steve's when it's available. So, he came over and picked up the bike Thursday evening with the intent I would remove the wheel Friday evening and take it out to Iron Pony. However, in his normal helpful manner, he went to air up the tire Thursday night to check it himself and found the actual valve core was loose. A quick tightening and the tire is holding air just fine even on the ride home from his place today. He also reminded me I had the tool to tighten it all along already on the bike in the valve cap.

Brian, the 550 is wearing Shinko Tourmaster 230s right now, which are tubeless, but the wheels still require a tube. Now, to definitely put new tires on the Bandit as it's wearing PR4s with about 8200 miles on them and the wear bars showing.
                  Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-09-2022, 03:11 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

You may want to go buy a lottery ticket today, seems like a lucky day. couldn't get much luckier with the tire issue. Glad it worked out OK..

Comment

I actually did buy a mega millions and powerball quick pick ticket last night after I stopped at his place . Sadly not even one number on the mega millions and we'll see tonight for the powerball

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

You must have used up all your luck on the tire!!! But good thing the bike is back up & going for less than the price of those tickets.

Comment

Working...
                        X