Pirelli tire bead issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

My thought was I could grind away the inside edge of the tire a bit, just round it some. That would probably do it, but maybe not. However, WTF how about a better product?
    WTF how about a competent installer?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

WTF how about a competent installer?
      i needed one, and the money
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

What I meant was there anything you could see that looked any different on that tire than any other tire. Did the edge you thought about rounding look any different on that tire than that edge on other tires?.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You did not answer if the rims are made for tubeless, and what you used for Tire mounting lube. I used stuff from a relative's Honda Dealership, specifically to seal tire beads. You could get another tire and find the same problem. More specific info needed to get the help that will work for you.

Comment

seems we have a new generation of trolls onboard here
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I hope you don't consider me a troll. I sincerely wanted the info, as I own motorcycles that use tubes, and that don't. I wanted to learn from your experience.

If you post insufficient information, then call those who try and help "trolls", well, you figure that one out. I was taught to be patient to those without.

Comment

I believe I was the one that originally asked that question, so I must be the troll.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hey, is that you up under that bridge a mile down from me?

Comment

it's just a damn tire, no biggie

Comment

Ok, decided to try a Pirelli Sport Demon on my 1100G.
                      Bummer, the bead would never sit right. Tried all the tricks, but looks like a tire fail.
                      No tire should be so hard to mount, so decided to go back to using Shinko 712R.
                      I'm sure I been riding with the Pirelli improperly mounted for the last 1220 miles.
                      I've had great consistent results from Shinko 712R tires.

From your last post:

it's just a damn tire, no biggie

Right, just a tire so I'm not sure what the point was of your original post. I've used Shinko tires on my busa and decided to try a set on my GSXR. I've ran them for a few seasons now and they are ready to be replaced. They stick good enough that I have never felt the tire skip with as low as I bring the bike down in the corners but I'm no Guy Martin by any stretch. I started looking to replace them but with the supply chain issues, ending up going back to Michelin but haven't mounted them yet.

That said, if my old friend E was still around, I'm sure they could tell you a story about the time a Shiko came off the rim.

Comment

Given Bill's history of tracking his bikes, I'm certain he's run through a set a tires or two, or a hundred. He's being modest, and keeping it classy. Bill, let us know is you ever find out anything other than it was just a bad tire.
                        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-23-2023, 05:39 PM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Still wondering if there was anything visible about the tire?. Wondering about the "edge" you thought about grinding, did you see something that was different form that edge other tires, or was it just a thought to see if it would make it slide on correctly? No doubt some are a lot harder to get seated, but yours sure seems abnormal, especially after 12oo mi.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Still wondering if there was anything visible about the tire?. Wondering about the "edge" you thought about grinding, did you see something that was different form that edge other tires, or was it just a thought to see if it would make it slide on correctly? No doubt some are a lot harder to get seated, but yours sure seems abnormal, especially after 12oo mi.
                            To me it looked like the tire diameter was too tight, with some molding skirt. Thought of sanding that skirt off.
                            I scrubbed the rim with steel wool, maybe I should have sanded to a polish? meh…
                            Will keep the tire and try it again after the Shinko is done.
                            Not impressed with the Sport Demon corner handling, probably inferior to the Shinko.
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-23-2023, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I would only polish a rim with polishing route. The smooth surface it what holds the tire on, not scratches in the aluminum. I have seen tires with the excess molding skirt you speak of. When I ran a dealership, I returned any tire that came in like that. They were always replaced with a well molded tire. You may have had a defective tire. Thanks for posting more info.

Comment

About that molding skirt edge. I think it's there to air seal the tire carcass.
                                Probably a bad idea to grind it off.
                                If that's the case, the damn tire bead was too small.

Comment

Working...
                                X