No announcement yet.

Tire Vendors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just re-read bwringer's post and he did mention using the Shinko 230's. Sounds like the 230 may not be better than the 712 for tread life.
    1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

It's only been a couple of weeks but I can honestly say that the Shinko 712 sucks in the wet! When you're going along at 4k in 3rd gear and goose the throttle a bit to get through a light and the back tire breaks loose that's not a good thing. Also managed to get it locked up a couple of times hitting the rear brake hard. For a few bucks more the Shinko 230 is the better tire BUT it could be the 712 lasts a bit longer, seems like a harder compound with no sign of squaring yet.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I have not noticed that the Shinko 712 and 230 vary much in traction, feel, or longevity. I'd perhaps give a slight edge to the 230 for traction, and I have burned through more sets of the 230 than the 712. In any case, I can attest that the 230 works just dandy in the wet.

Here's my torture test report on the Shinko 230 from the fall of 2012. Please note that the prices given are from many years ago, but the basic idea is about the same.

Shinko 230 Torture Test - The GSResources Forums

At that time, I put a lot more miles on my GS850G, so the more expensive but longer-lived Avon tires made better financial sense on a cost per mile basis. And of course that was back when Avon was still making motorcycle tires, so I guess you can ignore that bit aside from historical interest.

Nowadays, since I ride this bike far less, I prefer to spoon on a fresh set of Shinkos every year or so rather than take longer to wear out far more expensive tires.​

I have also become a significantly smaller galoot since then, although for some odd reason that hasn't made much difference in the tire life I get, just the suspension settings I use.
        Last edited by bwringer; 08-30-2023, 08:48 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I just switched to BT46, from Shinko 712’s which I have used for years- shinkos are squirrelly on grooved pavement so I’m trying the Bridgestones to see if they are better on uneven pavement

Comment

Working...
          X