No announcement yet.

Fork oil weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make your own per the service manual description...50% ATF trans fluid and 50% straight 30 weight motor oil... thats whats in my bikes as well as many members here using the same formula.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I blend DexronIII and 20wt engine oil to use in my forks. (I'm "frugal" also)

DexronIII is around 8wt and has nice anti-foaming properties to boot.

if you do blend ATF and engine oil don't use type "F" fluid; it has metal particles in it.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

resurecting old thread

**Just going through my old posts looking for any new added comments.**

A thought occurred to me with this thread.

A lot of suggestions that include different weights of oils. 10w, 15w, 20w mixed with trans fluid etc etc...does human body weight come into play with this? I don't know whats in my forks, could be fish oiil for all I know, (never did get to changing it) all I know is the bike still seems to jolt over the small cracks in the road.
        I'm in the 220 lb range . Just curious if some of these responces are from 100 lb guys?

Comment

I'm about 280 pounds and I regularly whip my GS850 like a rented mule over the worst pavement Indiana has to offer.

FWIW, I use 20W fork oil. Everyone else gets 15W.

Crikey, only the skinflints on the GS forum could get their panties in a wad over the cost of fork oil. You guys are legends among the ranks of historic tightwads.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Had 20weight in my 85 750s forks,got it free .When a stupid mistake meet I had to change seals I got some 15weight.Like it much better,the 20weight was a bit harsh.

Comment

front end fiddling ........

hi guys,, a few months ago i got some great help from members,,, anyway... after 10 years of owning the bike ,,,1980 gs1000e,, i jacked up the front and flushed clean the fork tubes,, then replaced the poor excuse for springs with progressive springs that i purchased from a member and replaced the slop oil with bel ray 10w and great i,ve now got a nice handling bike... never ever wait 10 years to change your oils it doen,t cost much and it saves dramas .... regards david

Comment

Working...
              X