Head Race Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Race Bearings

I have made a slight error with my GS1000 in he fact that I have had the frame Powder Coated and forgotten to take the old races out of the head stock (where the yolks bolt onto), they are pretty tight in there and one is damaged and have new ones so I would like to remove them.

Is there a way of doing this without using heat?

There is not much room for a puller to grip the edge of the race either!

Thanks

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Go here for a pic of the tool I used to remove the races from my 1000G. Basically, you need a modified drift or puller that is small enough to get into the limited space behind the bearing.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I think others have reported using a dremel to cut through race and then punched it out. Others have welded onto race and then removed while still hot, may not be good for powder coating though.

Comment

I have a steering stem race beater-outer that is simply an angled pry bar with the cheesy plastic handle bashed off.

Works great!

About every third bearing I have to dress the edge a bit with a Dremel tool or file.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            I think others have reported using a dremel to cut through race and then punched it out. ...
            I am one of those that used a Dremel. If you cut the race twice, there is no need to punch it out, it will simply fall out.

Here is how it looks after it comes out:

Here is why it had to come out:

To cut all the way through the race (or at least far enough that it will break if you hit it with a chisel), the cut-off wheel will go past the race and cut into the frame just a little bit. As long as you don't go all the way through the frame wall, this is not a problem. The slight cut will not affect the strength of the assembly at all.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I too used a dremel just the way Steve described.
              Works fine.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
              X