Speedo Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Drive

I have searched and searched regarding a speedo drive and have seen that the tabs aren't supposed to be bent and you can take it apart, clean it, and regrease it. My question is regarding the tabs, is the whole disc that the tabs are on supposed to be straight across as well? Mine is definitely in need of a cleaning and regrease. Does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like? Or is there a tutorial I just haven't found yet? Thanks folks!

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
    I have searched and searched regarding a speedo drive and have seen that the tabs aren't supposed to be bent and you can take it apart, clean it, and regrease it. My question is regarding the tabs, is the whole disc that the tabs are on supposed to be straight across as well? Mine is definitely in need of a cleaning and regrease. Does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like? Or is there a tutorial I just haven't found yet? Thanks folks!

Never had mine apart; Have you tried to take the circlip off

Comment

Yes, the "washer" part is supposed to be straight and the tabs at right angles.

It should be pretty easy to straighten out once you remove the snap ring and disassemble.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Those tabs need to be bent up. I'm uploading one I just took off my 700 thats the same.

Comment

Comment

There bent ...Happens alot .. Pull the snap-ring and clean it out and get the washer flat ... Make sure the taps are not "cracked" were there bent to the 90deg... Theres two gears under there that need cleaning and looked at ...

Have a good day

David

Hazardous Toys inc

Comment

A guess as to the cause. When remounting the front wheel, someone did not take the ten seconds needed to be sure that the tabs on the drive were aligned to be inside the recesses of the wheel. He tightened the axle nut when misaligned. That bent the tabs. 30+ ft-lbs of torque, multiplied through the fine threads of the axle, would build a lot of pressure.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Thanks everyone. Got it apart and cleaned it really well, bent it back straight using a large washer and a vise, and straightened the tabs. Then I reassembled it using white lithium grease and put it on carefully so the tabs were in the proper grooves and it seems pretty good. Thanks again.

Comment

White lithium grease isn't waterproof. You really want something waterproof on that assembly since it will be exposed to water when your ride through a puddle or in the rain. There are a lot of waterproof greases on the market but my favorite is Park bicycle grease. It is available from any bike shop and is used to lube wheel bearings and the lower bicycle crank assembly. I can attest that it sticks where you put it.

Comment

Ah crap, where did I read that at? I have a ton of the Bel-Ray waterproof grease still. More assembly/disassembly practice I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X