First time changing a tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time changing a tire

Wrestled the old one off, figured out the correct rotation, wrestled one side one, insert the tube, got the stem in the right place...inserted tire iron and PDSSSTSTSTS.

So, off the closest source for motorcycle inner tubes for the second.

This is even less fun than I imagined.

Geez, why didn't you come up to my place?

There's a certain knack to it, especially with the complication of tubes. It helps a lot to see it done first in person.

Persevere!
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well, thought it a bit much to show up on your doorstep with a tire when I hadn't met you yet. Figured you were a bit busy with the MotoGP crew showing up this week.

I'm about to try with the second tube. If that goes south, I'll give you a call before I puncture a third, if that's okay.

Comment

This isn't going well. Down to the last few inches (8?) and I can't get it to go. Have to leave for a cross-country meet and it's probably a good thing. Frustration running high at casa de oldrookie.

Comment

Same thing happened here.

I have no problems installing Tubeless.

But I have this weird mental block when it comes to Spoke Rims and Tubes.
          (plus my tools are alittle too crude and make-shift for Tubes)

I just go down the road and give the guy $20 to install my tires and tubes.

I just had a horribly busy weekend, and couldn't deal with it!

Comment

Just put it in and before you use the irons for the other bead inflate the tube,then remove the stem core. Pop the other bead on and air it up

Comment

Think I ruined the second tube before I left for the cross country meet. Think I'm going to bail and take another run at it tomorrow. Have to decide whether it might make more sense to pay the dealership or keep paying for tubes.

Afraid I might damage my brake disc if I keep hack-jobbing it.

Sheesh. Looks so easy on Youtube, doesn't it?

Comment

lube the tube.....silicone spray,
                and, a little air in the tube helps keep it up in the tire away from the beads
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Make sure the opposite tire bead is in the middle of the wheel Not on the rim

Comment

Watch this movie. It is how I learned to change tires/tubes on my dirtbike and I can do it with my eyes closed now. Before I hated the idea of changing a tire. Like they guy says, it's all in the technique. If you don't have any proper tire irons, they sell pretty cheap at the dirt bike websites. Get several.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. The video echoed what I was thinking "if you are struggling, you need to adjust your technique."

Comment

The key to getting the tire on the rim is to be sure the bead on the opposite side from which you are working is pushed down far enough to fall in the recessed channel of the wheel. This allows enough room for the bead to be levered over the lip of the wheel.

As Brian said, it is much easier to watch it done once before attempting it yourself. Since you're in a hurry, go buy some NICE dark beer and bring it to Brian's house. I'll bet he will accommodate you.....
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                          As Brian said, it is much easier to watch it done once before attempting it yourself. Since you're in a hurry, go buy some NICE dark beer and bring it to Brian's house. I'll bet he will accommodate you.....

PM sent...
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You're doing better than me. I had no tube to pop, so I had to make the only other mistake possible, which was to struggle for an hour with it and get it completely mounted, only to find out it was backwards.

Comment

Thanks for the invite, Brian. Will contact you tomorrow to follow up. Faculty meeting a good chunk of the day, but will be in touch.

Lucky enough to spend the day on Lake Monroe today. Perfect weather all day. Didn't get home until late or would have followed up earlier.

Appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X