Fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seals

Anyone have experience with the aftermarket fork seals? I need to buy some for my GS1150 and am thinking about the aftermarket ones sold on ebay. Insights on fit, and durability please. Recomended manufacturers? Thanks guys.
    1981 GS750L (sold)
    1981 GS750L (current)
    1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
    1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
    1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
    1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
    1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
    1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
    1980 GS1100L (Janice)
    Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
    e tan, e epi tan

I used a Leak Proof wiper and seal lit on my GS750T 3 years ago and they work well. They were easy to install, don't leak and I' d use them again. I think I ordered them from Dennis Kirk.

Comment

Most aftermarket fork seals will work OK for a while, but all will fail prematurely.

OEM Suzuki seals last the longest and cost about the same as aftermarket crap.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Been using aftermarket, never had any horrible leaking problems.
        If they leak, I'll just swap em out once riding season is over, no biggie.
        I'm running extremely thick oil, maybe that's why I've been lucky.

Comment

Leak Proof Pro Moly seals wear out and fail in 20-30,000 miles.

Depending on how much you ride, you may or may not care that OEM seals are usually cheaper and will easily go 80,000+ miles.

I will say that the Leak Proof brand seals are forgiving of imperfections in the fork surface and they are very easy to install thanks to their non-rigid construction -- just push them in with your fingers (do NOT pound on these seals). If you have pitted forks and you've at least polished off the rough edges of the pits, Leak Proof seals can get you back on the road.

There are some aftermarket companies selling NOK seals these days. Since NOK is the OEM supplier for Suzuki seals, I would be comfortable installing these, and they're fairly inexpensive.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X