new rear shorter shocks how to adjust forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new rear shorter shocks how to adjust forks

ok i put on ikon progressive shocks on the rear, i went 1 1/2 inch shorter that the old standard ones that where on there. (i gave old ones away to a guy so he could get his rebuilt.) shocks were ordered for my weight around 83 kg. ok what getting to is i dropped the front 12.5 mm, is this too much how can i tell, or what is a good starting point, old forks would need a freshen up in future now i just want to reach a point to get it road worthy. thank you clancey.

What manner of conveyance are we discussing?

Assuming you ride a Tohatsu Runpet (most motorcycles work the same), you want to match the amount of lowering at both ends, or come close.

If I'm reading correctly, you have lowered the rear 1.5 inches and the front 0.5 inch. Therefore, you might be able to go a bit lower in the front. However, you will likely run into other problems up front, like the fender hitting the pipe, etc. Of course, you're also likely bottoming out in the rear as well. (Lowering is sort of a bad idea all around, honestly...)

In other words, take the springs out and test to see if the front end hits anything at full compression before you go any lower. You shouldn't run into any dangerous handling with your current setup.

You can also limit suspension travel in front with a collar on the damping rod. So a 1 inch collar plus raising the forks 0.5 inch would give you the 1.5 inch total drop.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK, it's a 1984 gs1100g, I'm not trying to get it a low as possible, just asking if i need to or should have dropped the front once i got shorter rear shocks, Rear shocks are on smallest setting will put them half way to try settings. part of where I'm heading is it has a set of higher handle bars so i sit more upright, here's a pic -dates wrong as camera reset incorrect date.,thank you clancey.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      What manner of conveyance are we discussing?

Assuming you ride a Tohatsu Runpet (most motorcycles work the same), you want to match the amount of lowering at both ends, or come close.

If I'm reading correctly, you have lowered the rear 1.5 inches and the front 0.5 inch. Therefore, you might be able to go a bit lower in the front. However, you will likely run into other problems up front, like the fender hitting the pipe, etc. Of course, you're also likely bottoming out in the rear as well. (Lowering is sort of a bad idea all around, honestly...)

In other words, take the springs out and test to see if the front end hits anything at full compression before you go any lower. You shouldn't run into any dangerous handling with your current setup.

You can also limit suspension travel in front with a collar on the damping rod. So a 1 inch collar plus raising the forks 0.5 inch would give you the 1.5 inch total drop.

Comment

Working...
      X