Removing front axle 80 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing front axle 80 GS850

Going through the Clymer procedure for front wheel removal, I encountered a problem... It says to remove the two "keeper" screws on left side, but I don't see them. There is a pinch bolt, as if I were working on a GL model (perhaps someone frankenstein'd a GL fork onto my G?), but removing said bolt did not permit removal of the axle. I couldn't get the speedo drive out, perhaps this is my problem? I just can't see how that would hold the axle from coming out... Help? Also, sorry this is my first time posting images, hope they're not way too big

That is a leading axle fork, generally found on "L" models, but in 1980 they may have come on the "G" models as well. You need to remove the pinch bolt and possibly spread the pinch a bit. I normally wedge a screwdriver in there to open it up a bit.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that immediately, and get back with results

Comment

That's definitely a GL fork.

The axle is corroded and stuck internally to the spacers, bearings, and fork legs. Apply penetrating oil and use force with great care.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          That is a leading axle fork, generally found on "L" models, but in 1980 they may have come on the "G" models as well.
          Nope.

"Junior", my '80 850GK (see picture in my sig) does not have a leading axle fork.

#2 son's '80 1000G does not, either.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, this.

On mine the pinch bolt actually pinches a spacer, not the axle itself. In fact, I just changed fork seals today and removed the axle without removing the pinch bolt.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            That's definitely a GL fork.

The axle is corroded and stuck internally to the spacers, bearings, and fork legs. Apply penetrating oil and use force with great care.

Comment

Yup, axle was all corroded, but with a bit of patience and deliberate use of force, I successfully removed the axle. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X