Bleedin' brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, a quick update.

I am still fighting with the system. I have a MightyVac and have been using it to bleed the system.

BWRinger suggested that I bench bleed the MC, so I did that tonight. This consists of taking the banjo bolt out and placing a thumb over the bolt opening. Push in the plunger a few times and ensure that all the air is pushed out of the MC. Important not to let any air back in while the piston is on the out stroke.

I did that process, reinstalled the banjo bolt and started bleeding the system again. Cranked the vacuum up to about 15 psi, open the bleeder slightly and kept an eye on the level the MC.

Got some air, but not a lot. Bled enough fluid out to fill the MightyVac container about 3/4 full.

The lever will not pull back to the handle bar, but still more travel than it had before I started on the rebuild.

Put the cover back on the MC and tied the brake lever back and will let it set until tomorrow.

Comment

I thought I had this beat, but I don't.

My starter quit, which diverted my attention for a while. Took the bike out for a ride today and the brakes were not what they should be. May still have leak.

This is just frustrating.

Comment

While waiting for starter rebuild parts to come in, went back to bench bleed the master cylinder again.

Old friend (literally) who is a Master Mechanic--worked on AJ Foyt's cars in the early sixties-- listened to me whine about the symptoms and said, "It's the master cylinder. Go back and check it again."

He was right, apparently. I'm going to qualify this until I get some more time on the road. Still more lever movement than I expected with stainless steel brake lines, but it stops much better now. Only put about 20 minutes on and only in the neighborhood (don't judge...was afraid it would stall with no hill around and bump starting on flat ground is a younger man's game,) but it seems much better.

Got the starter rebuild done this evening, so just one small solder job left to do and that will be it until the next thing breaks.

Comment

Does your bike have the dreaded 'anti-dive" mechanism? I recently did the brakes on the new to me 550 and couldn't get the lever to firm up either. On my 750 and Kat the anti-dives are disconnected (prior to me getting the bikes) so I thought I would do the same with this one, thinking it may help. It does. The calipers were easy as pie to bleed and the lever firmed right up.

As the bike is still running rubber hose, its not a nice 2 finger pull like the 750 & Kat but not too far off.

I don't know anyone else's experience with bleeding brakes attached to the anit-dives but I had heard (and now confirm) that they are a biotch to bleed.

Just something else to consider.

Good luck.
          Spyug

Comment

No anti-dive on the GR. Had some cool tech for the time, but Suzuki went with pretty basic forks on the lower end model. The high end had air adjustable forks, but no anti-dive.

Comment

Can't believe I started this thread in March and I finally think the brakes are right as of Labor Day.

Drained the system at 8:00 a.m. this morning and pulled the caliper. No leaks evident there, so pulled the stainless line off the bike again. Cranked on the banjo bolt connections and found one of them was not as tight as I thought it was.

Got it tight and bled the MC. Reassembled the system, filled the MC and immediately noticed how much less air I was getting. The lever firmed up very quickly and it has far less lever travel.

Rode about 15 miles and the lever stayed firm the whole time. That is a first.

Kickin' myself in Indiana.

Comment

I'm going thru the same problem with my GSXR. Tried all the same things you have. My next step is I'm going with 2 SS lines from the MC to each caliper. Bypassing the splitter. I'm getting irritated over this but trying to keep my cool. It's got to be something easy that I'm over looking.

Glad to hear a happy ending with your dilema.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                  I'm going thru the same problem with my GSXR. Tried all the same things you have. My next step is I'm going with 2 SS lines from the MC to each caliper. Bypassing the splitter. I'm getting irritated over this but trying to keep my cool. It's got to be something easy that I'm over looking.

Glad to hear a happy ending with your dilema.
                  Sorry to hear about your difficulties. This had me completely frustrated. Still not sure I'm ready to believe it is fixed.

The crazy part is that the system is really fairly simple. Bench bleeding the MC really helped, but just on simple slightly loose bolt had me chasing brake pressure for months.

Comment

Well, guess who "prematurely whoo-hoo'd" again.

They get firm for a bit, then go soft.

I did feel some brake fluid under the upper banjo bolt this a.m., so it is either the front seal (which I suspect) or the upper banjo bolt isn't tight enough.

I suspect the seal because I have cranked that banjo bolt down so hard that I feared shearing it off.

So, when I get time this weekend...the system comes apart again. Has to be the front seal, or the MC has a crack in it. I'm pretty sure it is the seal.

May just order a GS 500 MC off ebay and start with that. Tired of messing with it.

Comment

I would recommend getting a silicone based brake grease and coating the O ring seals with it, then reassembling. Same with the MC. Pull the piston and seals out and give them a light coating

You'll find the pistons go back in much easier and slide better.

Be sure and get one that says it is compatible with seals and/or can be used on all brake parts

My machinist turned me on to this. He rebuilds MiniCoopers and does this to all his brake systems

I see Autozone has some in small packets

Also, when reassembling, leave the brake pads out and have the pistons slid out part way. Fill the caliper with some fluid (get a $4 oil can from HF for this) until it appears in the MC.

Then, use a clamp and push the brake pistons all the way back in. This should expel any air in the calipers
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks, Big T.

I've bid on a GS500 MC, but I think I really want to figure out what was wrong with this one. I'm going to tear it back down and try your suggestions. Hope to do it this week--supposed to be cold and rainy anyway.

Comment

Not to Hijack your thread, but along the same lines: I too have lost brake pressure, only it was after I replaced the fork seals.

I had it jacked up for over a week while my local shop messed around with one of the tubes (long story), which includes having the calipers at an elevated position while secured by bungees. When I put everything back together the brakes no longer had pressure. Worked fine before I started the job. Bleeding didn't help.

Just wondering if anyone can point me to an obvious reason for this, or did I just damage something in the process?

Thanks.

(PS let me know if this should be posted in a new thread. I am new here and not sure of the protocol)

Comment

No problem with me having it here, but you'll get more help with a new thread with a good thread title.

Something like "Didn't touch the front brake system, but lost pressure"

Comment

Gotcha, thanks. Next time. I can close the book on this, anyway. I didn't realize that bleeding the master cylinder was an option. This wasn't mentioned in my manual. Anyway that's where all the air was!

Any luck with your problem? As you can see, I won't be of much help. Other than emotional support.

Comment

I bought an mc off a gs500 on Ebay. Should be here on Friday. Hoping a newer mc will solve the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X