Wheel weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel weights

Does anyone know where a guy could buy some of the clip on wheel weights for the GS mag wheels?

Which continent?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

USA I tried those stick on ones but they flew off first season. Had to rejoin here for some reason, lost all my posts and info.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Those sticky ones shouldn't come off. Were the rims 100% clean before you stuck them on. The ones I can get over here take some tugging off.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yeah I cleaned them up with lacquer thinner first even maybe I got a bad batch.

Comment

I prefer the stick on type. Sounds like yours did not stick all that well.

Comment

I found some on the internet but dam expensive. They are center rib type http://www.alltiresupply.com/c-745.html . Not sure these are the exact style we need. I ended up going to a Suzuki bike dealer and the owner let me paw through a box of old weights to find what I needed. Maine has also banned lead weight so all my local bike shops have gone to stick on weights. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ouch! Expensive is right. I may have to try the local Yamaha dealer, I'm pretty sure we used the same style ony nephews 93 Virago. I have a whole coffee can full of car weights but they are backwards.

Comment

I would use these: motorcycle wheel weights

Comment

Just to mention another option, you could also put in Dyna Beads. They work well in street tires, and can't fall off.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      I would use these: motorcycle wheel weights
                      Yeah those look like the will do the trick. Thanks.

Comment

Fish the fiches first...

The clip-on weights appear on the fiches for the front and rear wheels.

For example, from the 1983 GS850G parts diagrams at partshark.com :

19-1 BALANCER, WHEEL NO.2
                        55412-17G00 (replaces 55411-45100)
                        $4.49

19-3 BALANCER, WHEEL NO.1
                        55411-00A00 (replaces 55413-45100)
                        $1.13

Not sure what weights you'd end up with -- I've seen OEM weights that are 10g, 20g, and 30g. But you could order three or four of each before your next tire change if you want to be excruciatingly correct.

I have several clip-on weights accumulated over the years, but frankly I prefer the stick-on weights. I painted a batch of them black a while back and they look really spiffy on black wheels.

I've never lost a stick-on weight. Not sure what you did wrong there, but they are pretty dang reliable in general.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          The clip-on weights appear on the fiches for the front and rear wheels.

For example, from the 1983 GS850G parts diagrams at partshark.com :

19-1 BALANCER, WHEEL NO.2
                          55412-17G00 (replaces 55411-45100)
                          $4.49

19-3 BALANCER, WHEEL NO.1
                          55411-00A00 (replaces 55413-45100)
                          $1.13
                          And from G&S Suzuki, they are $3.97 and $1.00.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X