Tire repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire repair

I guess this is pretty much nation wide. Dealers are refusing to fix tires because of so called liability issues, forcing us to buy a new tire. Geezus, I had to replace one of my Dunlaps because of screw in it and it only has few thousand miles on it. Still a good tire though no one to plug it and seal it now days.

A friend of mine went through 3 new rear tires in a month because of a nail or something in it...sorry we don't repair tires any longer, here is a new one though.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Depending on the location of the puncture, I have been known to install a good plug and keep riding.

Most will only plug a tire to get to where it is convenient to install a new tire, but I have put several thousand miles on repaired tires.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Depending on the location of the puncture, I have been known to install a good plug and keep riding.

Most will only plug a tire to get to where it is convenient to install a new tire, but I have put several thousand miles on repaired tires.

Me too. I am not scared of a well placed, correctly installed plug. There are times when you should not do it - too close to the sidewall, cord showing, screw/nail goes sideways into the tire, etc.
      The places that won't plug it just make far more money on selling and installing a new tire than plugging a used one, and use scare tactics to do so. I get my plug kits at wally world for around $10. But that's just me, YMMV.
      How to plug a motorcycle tire

Comment

Hi,

Yep, I've plugged and ridden a few thousand miles. As long as the puncture/plug repair is not too near the sidewall you'll be OK. Just don't go trying to touch a knee or anything.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Agreed with all the above. If it's a repairable puncture, plug and ride happy. If not, spend the bucks on a new tire.

Either way, you have to do it yerdamself to make sure it's done right.

Just last week, I caught a nail in the center of the tread in my Shinko 230 rear with less than 2,000 miles on it. The location of the puncture gave me hope it was fixable (I keep mushroom-style internal plugs on hand), but it turns out the nail bent and then went in at an extreme angle -- there was no safe way to repair it.

So I ordered up a new tire and spooned it on, and the old tire went to recycling.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I can understand the concern about liability. Some people are sue happy and their is never a 100% guarantee that the plug is going to hold. IN a car if a plug fails, you have three other wheels and other safety features to keep you safe.

That said I agree with the thoughts below. I dont have any motorcycle tire experience, but three months after I bought my other baby (2007 VW GLi) I ran over a screw with my low-profile tires. I was so ****ed as the tires were new. But the local repair shop plugged the hole and the tire has been fine ever since. It's been over 4 years now. Of course I have less than 30K miles on them. The benefits of working from home. (OT, i really should sell it)

Comment

PJ1 made a really good tire product, once you had the tire repaired you would add this in and let it set on the area where the repair was made, usually a couple hours and all was good. Used this on my friend's bike and finally saved him from another new tire. Oh a local private bike shop carried it and now it can't be found anywhere. Guess PJ1 discontinued it for some reason.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Agreed with all the above. If it's a repairable puncture, plug and ride happy. If not, spend the bucks on a new tire.

Either way, you have to do it yerdamself to make sure it's done right.

Just last week, I caught a nail in the center of the tread in my Shinko 230 rear with less than 2,000 miles on it. The location of the puncture gave me hope it was fixable (I keep mushroom-style internal plugs on hand), but it turns out the nail bent and then went in at an extreme angle -- there was no safe way to repair it.

So I ordered up a new tire and spooned it on, and the old tire went to recycling.
                This is the tough call. It is up to you to decide this, and sometimes it ain't easy. But it saves throwing away a perfectly good tire. Dealer's choice.
                I have been 149 mph on a plugged tire (not a bike) so they can be safe.

Comment

Here is the screw still in my tire.

2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

You really need to examine the entire length of the screw. Did it go sideways at all? If so, it is done.
                    The unfortunate part of your situation is this: Once you plug a tire, you really need to go out and heat it up so the rubber plug seals it well. Since it is off the bike, there is no way to do this.

Comment

Nope didn't go side ways at all. Blow torch? lol Only reason the screw bent is probably when it hit the rim. damn screw is 3 inches long.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      You really need to examine the entire length of the screw. Did it go sideways at all? If so, it is done.
                      The unfortunate part of your situation is this: Once you plug a tire, you really need to go out and heat it up so the rubber plug seals it well. Since it is off the bike, there is no way to do this.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

You have the tire off. Get a standard glue on tire patch (stores still sell them). Clean the inside of the tire real well where the hole is, buff it up good with 50 grit sandpaper, clean it again. Put rubber cement on the arear to be repaired, go wider than the patch to be applied. Let the rubber cement dry, stick stick on the patch, rub it down real good with a smooth object, put the tire on, inflate and check for leaks.
                        Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          I've worked in a tire store for years. We really don't do too many plugs anymore, but when we do it's always sealed by lighting the end of the plug sticking out of the tire with a lighter. Once the plug melts close to the tire, it's sealed!! Never had a plug fail using this method. I carry a plug kit and seal by own tires that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X