1978 GS1000 Front End Upgrade Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000 Front End Upgrade Options

So I've been thinking lately that when I get around to doing the tear down/restoration on my '78 1K that I would do a front end upgrade. I want to keep the look as close to stock as possible (no USD forks). Options? Yes I tried to do a search but the search feature must be down right now (I kept getting "fatal error" messages).

Here's a '78 with an upgraded front suspension. I have no idea what it is from but I sure would like to know.

Russ..if youn type in TOO many words you get that error message..try shorter key words.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well if you can figure out a way for me to do a search on "GS1000 front end upgrade" in the authorized number of words let me know.

Comment

Those are Triumph forks.

Eric

Comment

If you want it to look stock, get Race Tech emulators, progressive springs and for a smoother ride, use forks from a newer GS, with the teflon inserts to reduce friction.
          Finish up with the twin pot Kawasaki brake upgrade and Avon RoadRiders, you will have a decent riding motorcycle.

With some decent rear shocks of course.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The mid 90s Katana or Bandit front end will swap - the Bandit needs a shorter triple tree stem (like from a Katana) and has the advantage of having a regular handle bar mount on the top clamp. The Katana has clip onish bars

Find a complete front end so you have better forks, brakes and tire selection

Then an 1100 swing arm, Katana or GSXR wheel and chain conversion
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I put a '88 gsx600 front end on mine, straight swap, wheel and all. Back wheel just need a spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                The mid 90s Katana or Bandit front end will swap - the Bandit needs a shorter triple tree stem (like from a Katana) and has the advantage of having a regular handle bar mount on the top clamp. The Katana has clip onish bars

Find a complete front end so you have better forks, brakes and tire selection

Then an 1100 swing arm, Katana or GSXR wheel and chain conversion
                The Katana front end may be the way to go then. I already have clip-ons. Metmachex swinger, Ikons, Salty Monk brake mod. Going to stay with the Morris mags.

Comment

Originally posted by allenbrown View Post
                  I put a '88 gsx600 front end on mine, straight swap, wheel and all. Back wheel just need a spacer.
                  Allen what is your thoughts on the change in handling? Here's one on ebay.

Comment

Russ,

The problem with only swapping the forks and triple is that they're much wider spaced to allow for the 17" front wheel

Also, check Katrider.com. Those guys ditch their front ends for GXSR stuff. I got everything in that ad plus the wheel and tire, brakes and rotors for $120 locally
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Russ,

The problem with only swapping the forks and triple is that they're much wider spaced to allow for the 17" front wheel

Also, check Katrider.com. Those guys ditch their front ends for GXSR stuff. I got everything in that ad plus the wheel and tire, brakes and rotors for $120 locally
                      Yeah I have a '92 gsxr front end on my Kat. Just wanted to stay away from USD forks T. I see what you're saying though with the width. SO the trick is finding a newer fork with narrow width. I definitely want to keep the period wheels. Like Tkent said I might end up having to go with racetech emulators. I already have progressive springs in front. Tom what year did they start going with the teflon inserts in the GS forks?

Looking at that first pick he has period rims. I'm guessing the triumph front end is the same width as a GS. All Balls might have the right bearing to do the switch.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I like the sprocket and chain set up a lot better. The bike wheelies much easier. The handling is a little stiffer which is nice, I just don't like how low my bike sits now. It bounces around a lot less now in the corners too which is reassuring.

Comment

Russ

All you'd need is a custom triple tree set= GS width, larger holes

and probably some adapters at the axle
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Here's a '78 with an upgraded front suspension. I have no idea what it is from but I sure would like to know.
                            I would be willing to bet that fork/ front fender combo is off an sv650. Not renowned for their handling prowess, but probably a few steps up from whatever they were doing in '78!
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2012, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Find a GK triple and forks. 41mm (I'm pretty sure..maybe 40) forks, keep the Morris mags, emulators, spend the big dough on shocks and keep your arm. Get he frame braced. The head stock and through the cross frame especially. Gusset the rear section... Good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X