1978 GS1000 Front End Upgrade Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
    So I've been thinking lately that when I get around to doing the tear down/restoration on my '78 1K that I would do a front end upgrade. I want to keep the look as close to stock as possible (no USD forks). Options? Yes I tried to do a search but the search feature must be down right now (I kept getting "fatal error" messages).

Here's a '78 with an upgraded front suspension. I have no idea what it is from but I sure would like to know.

Probably WAAAAYY too late to chime in here but that's a VTR1000 set of 41mm front forks with a CBR600F2 front wheel. Uses a VTR triple clamp lower (or was it a CBR600 lower) but the upper triple is custom billet carved up by a friend of a friend in Canada. If I were to do it now, probably look for Katana triple or a Bandit 600 with the VTR forks and figure out a wheel combo from there. Maybe the later SV650 wheels to get that 5 spoke Campagnolo look. Rear on this one is a Metmachex swing-arm and a matching CBR600F2 rear wheel with the sprocket carrier milled down to line up the chain. Chain is a 530 btw.

Jim

Comment

That is your bike Jim? nice to get the actual specs of the mods done, job well done.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I use the 83 1100E fork with an emulator in the 1000 Triples. Works well. You get both compression damping (on the emulator) and the original rebound damping still adjusts. You also get preload.
        I have the anti-dive cappped with channels in the caps connecting the ports.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X