GS850 fork swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 fork swap?

I have a 82 GS850.....I'm curious to know what gsxr...katana or other newer bike front fork setup will work with my bike?

Same situation I am in, looking now for answers. Any comments would be appreciated as I will be using clip ons and the top tree def needs to go! Cheers!

Comment

The problem with a front end swap on a shafty is that you usually wind up with a radial tire on the front with no easy way to do the same on the rear.

If you just want a better ride and handling on otherwise healthy forks, get some straight rate springs (Sonic) and cartridge emulators (RaceTech).
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

With a few exceptions, Suzuki did a really neat thing and ran the same steering head bearing on all their GS's and most GSXR's as well. Upper: 25 x 47 x 15 and Lower: 30 x 55 x 17mm

Probably the best candidate would be a Bandit 600/1200 as it is the newest and you will probably find better condition forks available.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          The problem with a front end swap on a shafty is that you usually wind up with a radial tire on the front with no easy way to do the same on the rear.

If you just want a better ride and handling on otherwise healthy forks, get some straight rate springs (Sonic) and cartridge emulators (RaceTech).
          Yep. The front end you have is quite capable with a few well-chosen upgrades.

The big mistake I see on most of these conversions is that sportybike donor forks are a lot shorter and the wheel is a 17" wearing a low profile radial tire instead of a 19", so you end up with MUCH lower ride height and severely compromised cornering clearance. Kinda silly to install spiffy forks if you can't lean the thing over, plus it just plain looks stupid with its nose slammed to the pavement. I've seen perhaps one, maybe two examples of the front end done right, where it retains needed ride height. Bandit forks might be a good option, or maybe even something like a V-Strom.

As mentioned, another issue is your rear tire size is limited by the rear wheel. A 140 tire usually rubs the swingarm and definitely goofs up handling, so there may or may not be a good solution for that on a shaftie. Even a widened rear wheel would have tire interference issues on the left.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X