1986-1987 GSX-R front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    As far as the axle pinch bolt there is only one on the 1100 and I assume for the 750 so that is not a clue (maybe you are thinking about the double pinch bolts on the lower triple?).
    My apologies, you are right: the 1100 has only one pinch bolt for the wheel axle
    I got confused by the GSXR 1100 K that has two...
    Here are the pictures of my GSXR 1100 fork with a 300 mm GSXR 750 disk AND caliper

Last edited by John Kat; 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM. Reason: added pictures
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

John_Kat,
      Are you running a single side brake? What 750 rotor are you running?

Here is my 83 GS1100ED with 1988 GSXR 1100 forks and 3 spoke 18x2.75" wheel with a Galfer wave rotor. I also put a GS1100ED anti dive on although it is not functional due to having modifications for Race tech cartridge emulators.
      Jim

Comment

The seller confirmed some dimensions so I concluded that this is in fact a 1986-87 GSXR 1100 fork .

Thanks, if you measured the axle then it is a 15mm axle which makes this a 86-87 GSXR 1100 fork. The 88 GSXR 1100 fork is 17mm. The length of all three is 30.25 cm (excluding the fork top). Thanks for confirming those dimensions.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I JUST NOTICED THAT THE PO GROUND OFF ONE OF THE CALIPER MOUNTS TO RUN SINGLE SIDED BRAKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I noticed that when I first-looked at it, just imagine all the weight he saved by shaving off those mounting ears

Ultimately this makes it worth $50 IMOP

The seller confirmed some dimensions so I concluded that this is in fact a 1986-87 GSXR 1100 fork .

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          I JUST NOTICED THAT THE PO GROUND OFF ONE OF THE CALIPER MOUNTS TO RUN SINGLE SIDED BRAKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

John_Kat,
            Are you running a single side brake? What 750 rotor are you running?

Here is my 83 GS1100ED with 1988 GSXR 1100 forks and 3 spoke 18x2.75" wheel with a Galfer wave rotor. I also put a GS1100ED anti dive on although it is not functional due to having modifications for Race tech cartridge emulators.
            Jim
            Jim,
            I'm currently running with a single disk as I was still in the evaluation phase.
            When I looked around for GSXR 750 300 mm disks, there were only "premium" suppliers on the market.
            The one I bought came from Metalgear. Very good but not cheap!

I would have bought 310 mm disks but my calipers could only accomodate the 300 mm version...
            That's when I discovered that while the fork stanchions are the same between models the calipers aren't!
            I'm going to buy the gold valves but what's the rating of your springs?
            John
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
              Jim,
              I'm currently running with a single disk as I was still in the evaluation phase.
              When I looked around for GSXR 750 300 mm disks, there were only "premium" suppliers on the market.
              The one I bought came from Metalgear. Very good but not cheap!

I would have bought 310 mm disks but my calipers could only accomodate the 300 mm version...
              That's when I discovered that while the fork stanchions are the same between models the calipers aren't!
              I'm going to buy the gold valves but what's the rating of your springs?
              John
              With two 310mm rotors and an aftermarket brake master I have plenty of brakes but at the same time there is alot of travel in the handle. I like that as it gives me plenty of feel . It might be disconcerting to pull the brake when just standing still, but rest assured when moving the bike pulls down to a stop very quickly in response to my brake lever pressure.

I suspect you will get twice the travel out of your lever if you decide to add the other rotor.

Comment

With two 310mm rotors and an aftermarket brake master I have plenty of brakes but at the same time there is alot of travel in the handle. I like that as it gives me plenty of feel . It might be disconcerting to pull the brake when just standing still, but rest assured when moving the bike pulls down to a stop very quickly in response to my brake lever pressure.

I suspect you will get twice the travel out of your lever if you decide to add the other rotor.
                I also have quite some travel before the single caliper bites the disk.
                The feel currently is not good as I need to apply quite a bit of pressure to slow down.
                The power is there however.
                You are right, with two calipers it should double my stopping power at the same hydraulic pressure but...there will be more freeplay.
                sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                X