front brake hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake hose

Im having trouble buying my brake hoses. On my gs850gl it goes one hose from the M/C and splits to two hoses one to each caliper. I dont want to make my own. So if someone can point me to the right hose to purchase. Thank you

z1 enterprises sells stainless brake hoses. Measure your old ones for the correct length.Its been awhile since I installed the ones on my GS but I think you measure the total length of your hose and subtract 3 inches for the fittings. The fittings come in different angles, since they screw on to the hose ends, they are easy to install. Pick up a pack of washers for the banjo bolts. Change your brake fluid also.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      z1 enterprises sells stainless brake hoses. Measure your old ones for the correct length.Its been awhile since I installed the ones on my GS but I think you measure the total length of your hose and subtract 3 inches for the fittings. The fittings come in different angles, since they screw on to the hose ends, they are easy to install. Pick up a pack of washers for the banjo bolts. Change your brake fluid also.

I just did this last weekend. Z1 is a great resource. there are 2 kinds of line you can buy from them. one kind has a swivel on the ends:

and the other kind does not:

I bought the swivel, and the correct fittings for each end. Make sure you buy the right fittings or you'll be up a creek without a paddle. and yes, each fitting is 1.5" in length.

I'm very happy with the fit and the price.

Comment

What kind of motorcycle do you have? (Hint: Put it in your signature so you don't have to remember to mention it every time!)

Another favorite vendor for brake lines is Rennsport Auto, out of Canada. Very high quality, good service, and extremely reasonable prices. Here's the eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Rennsport-Aut...1&_sid=5680214

They sell lines individually or in sets. Typically you just buy a line from any of their auctions and then send a message through eBay with the specifications you want.

If you can't find what you're looking for or need help measuring or ordering, they have great email and phone support.

(Not a party to this business, just a happy customer. )
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Hi,

I ordered Goodridge lines and fittings from Z1. Look at what you have now and order the same angles for the banjo bolts. Don't forget new crush washers.

Measure your brake lines. Order the same lengths. If you are buying the lines pre-made and adding fittings, measure accordingly.

These vendors have pre-made kits with the fittings already attached. (From your "mega-welcome".)

Brake Lines - Stainless steel lines, stock kits, custom kits
          http://www.spieglerusa.com/
          http://www.h-e-lusa.com/
          You are at the best online source for buying Motorcycle Part and Accessory - Motorcycle Racing Brakes, Brakes Motorcycle Performance, Motorcycle Disc Brakes, Brembo Motorcycle Brakes, EBC Motorcycle Brakes, Honda Motorcycle Part, Suzuki Motorcycle Part, Performance Brake Rotors, Yamaha Motorcycle Part, BMW Motorcycle Part, Kawasaki Motorcycle Part, Aftermarket Motorcycle Part, Custom Motorcycle Part, Ceramic Brake Pad, EBC Brake Pad, EBC, EBC Brakes. You can buy Motorcycle Brakes, Brake Rotor, Brake Pad, Brake Line, ATV Brake, Brake Disc, Wave Rotor, Braking Systems, Galfer Brakes, Sport-bike Brakes, Steel braided Brake Lines, Custom Brake Lines, Dirt-bike Brake Lines, Harley-Davidson Brakes, MX Brakes, Brake Fluid, Racing Brakes, Performance Brakes at affordable prices.

I've even heard of some local brake shops making new lines when you bring in your old ones to use as a template. I'm sure the cost varies.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ill make sure to add my bike to the siganuture. But I did mention it was a gs850gl 1982 suzuki.
            I guess I need to read more about brakes. Dont see how the brake oil
            Makes it through the banjo bolts.
            But thank you for the good tips. I think im going to attemp on making my own.
            Sounds like a fun task!

Comment

I've just head a set of hoses made for my 78 GS750E by a place here in town, set me back about $116 for all 3 with some crush washers and adapters. They head them done in about an hour and a half.

Comment

Thanks subid. I think ill try them out. Not bad for the 89.

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
                  here ya' go

These are the ones I used and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Br...65f5b2&vxp=mtr
                  Any reason these wouldn't fit a 650L? It doesn't seem that they make them specifically for 650s.

Comment

The majority of people in this post used the lines sold by z1. Why did you opt to go with the ones on ebay?

Comment

Any reason these wouldn't fit a 650L? It doesn't seem that they make them specifically for 650s.

exzachtly1, I got a front brake line from the guy below also he can make them any length.
                      winlife2012 china seller on ebay has a front hose that will fit a 650L. I think it was 20.00 shipped, have to wait though.

Comment

I just today got the Rennsport ebay lines delivered. $67 for the 3 front hoses, fit well, included banjo bolts and washers. He has a swivel fitting for $6 extra....I was a bit disappointed that the hoses in the ad show DOT numbers on the hose, mine do not.....3 days from order to my door.
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I ordered off of Rennsport through ebay, got a 3-line kit (with a bike cover and a double banjo for $92, i think).

I wanted to do two long lines from the master cylinder to the calipers, and use the third line for another bike with only one front brake.

Here is what I ordered for my 1979 gs850:
                          2x 30 degree banjo connectors (10mm)
                          2x straight banjo connectors (10mm)
                          (connectors were offset 90 degrees from each other)
                          1x M10x1.00 double banjo bolt
                          43 inch length front (This is pretty long, I have a bit of extra slack, especially on the right side).

EDIT: I'll add that I had a good experience reverse-bleeding the brakes. I hooked up a squeeze bottle filled with new brake fluid to the bleed valve of the calipers, removed the cap of the master cylinder, and pushed/squeezed) fluid up through the lines into the master cylinder, and then let the bottle naturally expand and suck the brake fluid back down. This got the air out of the lines pretty quick. You could do the same with a syringe or turkey baster, if you could get those hooked up via tubing to the bleed valve. On the first squeeze or two, I removed the discolored brake fluid from the system so it wouldn't re-enter the lines/calipers.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I have noticed that the front brake is so firm now that the brake light usually does not come on because the lever does not move far enough. Have to make sure I use the back brake always.
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                            X