No announcement yet.

Mags to Spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no axe to grind, the OP wants spokes, and asked a question about finding wheels.

Spoked wheels and tubes are fine 99,99% of the time, just like alloy wheels and tubeless tires...

And both can go flat slowly or instantly.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
      huh, 6 second drag cars use tubes.
      Very true- they operate almost opposite of what we want- where they need weight and the tube to absorb the heat as they rip off the line-

Street car "slicks" are typically designed as tube-type tires. There are a number of reasons for this, but safety is a primary concern. In addition, a tube helps to maintain air pressure. It's not uncommon for a tubeless fastest street car tire to deflate quickly (that even includes several of the more streetable types with a full complement of tread). Tubes will enhance the reaction time, increase the stiffness of the tire, and reduce sidewall shock and deflection when launching the car. Finally, the manufacturers polled claim that a tube helps with consistency, since the tube actually absorbs some of the heat from the tire. In a bike, absorbing heat into a tubless/tube tire actually reduces your heat range and the life of the tire- so it's counter productive. Granted there are a multitude of custom applications out there but in more times than not the new technology in tubeless, is better. This is off topic from the spoke rims but this happens sometimes

In general, tubeless tires do not need tubes, and you do yourself a dis-service by using tubes with tubeless tires. Tubes reduce the flexibility of tubeless tires, thereby increasing rolling resistance. This then consumes a bit more energy to make it go, which will consume a bit more fuel. The worse part is that this extra energy is turned into heat in the tire, and tires don't like extra internal heat. This could shorten the life of the tire rather dramatically if you run it anywhere near it's maximum load or speed rating.

As a rule of thumb, if you put tubes in tubeless tires you should de-rate the tire by one letter grade, or about 18 mph (30 kph) off of the rated 10-minute top speed. If you're talking about installing an "H"(auto) (rated tire (130 mph) , you hardly have much to worry about if it gets de-rated by 18 mph to 112 mph 10-minute top speed capability.

If you want spokes by all means use them, I just don't get it- other than aesthetics.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I use tubes in both my bikes with tubeless tires on non tubeless type mag rims. I put tubes in them because the mags are not rated for tubeless, doesn't have that extra lip or whatever, and the parts fiche shows tubes.
        Item 16,

I once had a rear tire blow-out on a Honda with spoke rims and tube. Tire pressure went to zero immediately at 70mph, that was fun, I'm sure the passenger enjoyed it too.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          I use tubes in both my bikes with tubeless tires on non tubeless type mag rims. I put tubes in them because the mags are not rated for tubeless, doesn't have that extra lip or whatever, and the parts fiche shows tubes.
          Item 16,

I once had a rear tire blow-out on a Honda with spoke rims and tube. Tire pressure went to zero immediately at 70mph, that was fun, I'm sure the passenger enjoyed it too.
          My point exactly-

Comment

With spoked wheels you can lace up wider rims. I have 2 sets. 1 with a 18'' front. Turns a little quicker, no clearance issues.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Or you can just spend the extra money and buy TUBLESS SPOKED WHEELS

1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by rayban View Post
                thanks overboostin...... I just think spokes look better
                Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                Me too! Especially when they're kept nice & clean, so they gleam a bit as the wheel rotates.
                How about a real life example? See and decide for yourselves:

Mags:

Spokes:

I know which I like better.........

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

There is also this tubliss system...

Nuetech's TUbliss tubeless tires for motorcycles and dirt bikes provides superior traction, no pinch flats, durability, easy repairs and rim protection.

Tis one isn't ready for the road quite yet but I definitly like the looks better, these wheels are a lot lighter than thee cast clunkers that were on it.

Last edited by tkent02; 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

wire spokes look soooo much better

Comment

You have to like Cleaning though...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Joe Nardy.... beautiful bike....MUCH better with spokes. Pics say it all !!!

So early 750 wheels (say 1977) will bolt right on, front and rear ? Also, can I put duel disc on the front spoke wheel?

Comment

Yes and yes. There are holes drilled and tapped in most spoked wheels for the second disc, there is probably a plastic plug screwed into the holes. You need both forks from the dual brake model too.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I have a 1980 GS1000E that I am updating a bit. Not a full restore, just freshening it up. I would really like to convert to spoked wheels. I'm not sure what all will be involved in this, but I'd like to get going on it. Is it going to be as simple as buying wheels off of an earlier model, or do I need to do some modification? Any help would be great!

Comment

The wheels from an earlier 1000 bolt right on, with the 750 wheels I think you need to change bearings for the thicker axle, not 100% sure.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the response! I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                                X