1981 gs850 Front Rotors on a 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs850 Front Rotors on a 1979

Wanted to share my experience with this...

My stock 1979 GS850 rotors were slightly warped and I wanted to do an easy upgrade for riding in wet conditions, so I opted to get the 1980 and up slotted / drilled rotors. I also got the matching calipers. The rotors bolt on, and are the same size (to my eye, anyways). The calipers, however, do NOT fit.

'81 calipers on a '79 DO NOT WORK. The rotor bottoms out in the calipers before you can align the calipers to the mounting holes on the fork. Not awful news, though, as it seems 79 calipers work just fine (my opinion after ~10 miles of riding) with the 81 rotors.

Time will tell if the circular brake pads wear poorly, but the brakes function in the meantime, and I'm quite pleased about that.

TL;DR 81 rotors on a 79 work, but the same isn't true with calipers

That's odd, I've used the later calipers on the earlier bikes several times, much improved braking.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've got 80 slotted front rotors on my 79 850 with 79 calipers. No issues here.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        That's odd, I've used the later calipers on the earlier bikes several times, much improved braking.
        yeah, that is what I was hoping for (I moved to stainless steel braided lines at the same time as I swapped rotors), but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

I suspect one component of what you have is from a "GL" model not a G. That would explain it as the caliper bracket is different between the G & GL.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There is a difference between the round and square disk brakes. It will work fine Just the round pad will over hang about a 1/16"

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I suspect one component of what you have is from a "GL" model not a G. That would explain it as the caliper bracket is different between the G & GL.

... I am sad to admit that I did not consider this.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Agreed. GL parts are more common, and it's also a rare fleaBay seller that has any idea what he's selling.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                X