Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear suspensipon bolt broken

Hi,
    I would need some advice hoe to repair a worn and a broken rear suspension (upper) bolt.
    Please see pics.

(My idea was: Made a new bolt from steel, and cut the original one. Drill a hole in the frame, put the turned new bolt inside. Need welding?)
    Thanks for tips.

Looks like a stud not a bolt. Best solution is grinding off the stripped one and welding on a new one. The ghetto solution, drill a hole though the stud, and use a cotter pin to retain the shock. Use washers to take up the space.

Comment

Thanks cableguy!
      I'm thinking the proper solution with machined stud turned to the original size.

Comment

You can get a 12mm shoulder bolt from McMaster-Carr.

Cut the old stud off flush, drill it out to 12mm, then install a shoulder bolt from the inside.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks bwringer,
          Is it possible to drill the hole with a hand supported drill machine or I need to use a drill press machine?

Comment

I had one like that except it was sheared flush with the outside of the shock. Had a bolt welded on and cut to length.
            $20.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by galaskog View Post
              Thanks bwringer,
              Is it possible to drill the hole with a hand supported drill machine or I need to use a drill press machine?
              I helped a friend do one. We drilled the hole with a handheld drill. A few degrees off won't hurt anything -- shocks have rubber bushings...

You do have to remove the plastic inner fender and possibly the rear wheel to get everything out of the way.

The important part is to drill in stages, then finish with a very slightly undersize hole. This allows you to tap the shoulder bolt in from the inside -- it should have a nice snug interference fit. Not a lot of room to swing a hammer.

Make sure you measure carefully -- I don't remember what length shoulder bolt we used, but you can measure what you'll need easily enough.

If you have a welder, I suppose you could tack it into place, but this isn't necessary.

Also, the 10mm threads on the shoulder bolt are DIN/SAE 1.5mm pitch, not the JIS standard 1.25mm pitch, so you'll need to scare up a new nut as well.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X