Steering problem.. it's catching at the center point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering problem.. it's catching at the center point

Well today I took a ride, and when I got off the highway, went to turn at stop light, it did not want to turn.

Took me a little bit to figure out that the steering is sticky. There is almost like a detent at the center point, and you have to put a little effort in the bars to get it past that center point.

I am thinking that the steering bearing is going, or maybe the bolt came loose.

Anybody else have that issue, or know whats involved...

I looked on the mega welcome and did not see any steering related links..

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Your steering head bearings are shot, replace them and adjust them PROPERLY.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's what I thought. Any idea about the best place to get new ones, and the cost... or how much work is involved? I can do the work, just trying to get an idea how much time I should set aside for it.

thanks
      Ken

Comment

Depending on which bike you have, any bearing supply house will have them, or any Suzuki shop, or AllBalls sells them.

It's pretty easy, a few hours the first time.

Comment

Bike?

Not sure what bike you have, but if it has separate 1/4" balls and races for them in the steering head, the balls, over time, have created dents in the races from constant road pounding over the miles. It's pretty common in older bikes. Most, if not all, of the impacts from potholes, or ripples in the pavement, occur when the steering is generally in the straight-ahead handlebar position, hence the tendency for the steering to self-center as you described. Tapered-roller replacements, readily available, will not only cure the problem, but also prevent it from happening again.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Be sure to read a shop manual to get them torqued properly. The worst thing you can do is guess, and over-tighten the nut. You might even find that you can correct the problem if it hasn't been adjusted properly to begin with. (maybe you or a PO twisted the nut without realizing the mistake)

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
              Tapered-roller replacements, readily available, will not only cure the problem, but also prevent it from happening again.
              No they actually don't. They are certainly better, but they will still wear notches in the race.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Its an 82 GS1100

I will look for the parts...at the suggested places.

Thanks again
                Ken

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                  Tapered-roller replacements, readily available, will not only cure the problem, but also prevent it from happening again.
                  Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  No they actually don't. They are certainly better, but they will still wear notches in the race.
                  Yep, and here is the proof:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Z1 has really good prices on their All Balls bearings.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just a detail -- the procedure in the manual is intended for the stock ball bearings. I've found that tapered bearings need to be a bit tighter. I don't really have a good procedure, but I've learned the right feel after doing this a couple dozen times.

Stop by a farm or powersports store and get some really good waterproof grease.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just wanted to give you an update. I went out today and messed with the steering.

Got the front off the ground.. No catching when there is no weight on the wheel. Also tried wiggling the wheel to see if there was any play. I could find none.

First I tried tightening the ring... maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn. That made it worse once it was back on the ground.

So I then tried putting it about the same amount LOOSER than it was when I started.

That did it. No more catching at the center point. And still no play at the end of the forks. Hopefully this will buy me some time.

Obviously there is a problem with a bearing in there... So I WILL be ordering the parts, found them for $40 or so at All Balls, I think.

I have some other parts to order.. Reg/Rec and Now a clutch cable..

That is another story I will tell you about in a separate post.

Thanks for all the help.

Ken

Comment

Once you get in there, check the race carefully. They can break and create a catch spot
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X