cleaning petrified brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning petrified brake fluid

On my calipers I was able to scrape most of it out, but I am cleaning up 2 master cylinders and some of that stuff is on there like dried glue. Especially in the groove where the reservoir o-ring sits.

Any tricks for getting that stuff off?

WD40 often works for cleaning. It's a good start point because it won't wreck anything(unlike brake cleaner etc) I don't know if it'll work in this case though but worth a try.

Comment

Dremel tool with the brass wire brush attachment worked for me.
      If you don't over-do it the brass is soft enough that it won't damage the bore.
      Second choice is a set of dental picks available for cheap at Harbour Freight.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Carb Dip.

Just rinse the stuff out when you're done.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cool, I will give those a shot.

Comment

Carb dip and heavy use of brake cleaner will remove the paint, so be aware of that. My rear caliper looks kinda cool in silver, so I left it that way...

I've always used wooden implements (popsicle sticks, broken-off cotton swaps, old pencils, etc.) to attack these deposits, then cleaned everything up with the fine Scotchbrite pads.

You can also get plastic cleaning sticks that work very well -- they're normally used for cleaning firearms, so check your local sporting goods or gun shoppes.

You may need to go around the seal grooves once or twice with a dental pick to get the crud out of the corners, but other than that you should avoid metal tools.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If you have access to an Ultrasonic Cleaner, it will clean calipers & master cylinders to "like new" condition in minutes.
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

The paint is toast so I will be repainting anyway.

The stuff that is on there is very hard so I did uses a metal pick to scrape the bulk of it off but it is going to take some kind of solvent to break the rest down to a point where I can get it out safely. WD40 didn't seem to touch it. I have a partial can of carb cleaner I am going to try. I also have a dremel so I should be able to get these things clean one way or another.

Comment

Working...
                X