230's or 712's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

230's or 712's

I've seen lots of threads about the Shinko 230's, but nothing on the 712's. The 712's are on sale right now. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

There have been a few reports on them, but not nearly as many as the 230s.

They are a lighter-duty tire, but still rather adequate for use on a GS.

I think I saw one report that indicated they have a lower weight capacity.
    Since I started with the heaviest 'naked' GS, then added stuff to it,
    I installed 230s to make sure I had enough strength in the tires.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Overall the reviews I saw were much better for the 230s. I was just looking because I needed a rear tire. Got it from motorcycle superstore because of free shipping.
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Believe it or not, there are some radical cheapos over on the V-Strom forum using the 712 Shinkos on their V-Stroms (they use a 100/90-19 front instead of the V-Strom's stock 110/80-19). A set of 712 Shinkos runs around $130, and most "big name" tires run around $300.

These guys seem very happy with the mileage and grip they're getting and with the bang for the buck -- many of these folks are every day, all-weather riders, and/or they travel a lot.

Why not try a set of each and report back to the GS troops?

For SCIENCE!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Comment

Here's my report from that thread, dated 08-27-2012:

Originally posted by Griffin
            I have Shinko 712s on my GS650E. The rear wheel on that model is the skinniest I've ever seen on a 4 cylinder GS or KZ. Stock width is 110, and the only tire I could find in that size was the 712, so I bought the standard 100/90-19 up front and the 110/90-18 for the back.

These tires had about 300 miles on them when I headed off to the Red River Valley Rally this past July. I rode them in a variety of conditions.

Dry interstates at 80 mph - Great
            Wet interstates at 70 mph - Great
            Dry curves at 20-80 mph - Great
            Wet curves at 10-50 mph - Great

Those I rode with that Saturday can attest that they did the job well. Over 300 miles of HARD corner carving, and nary a hiccup. Bike braked well too, and I never ran out of tread while heeled way over.

I like 'em. I see no reason to spend more money than what these cost for a mid size GS. I do question the longevity a bit though. The rear tire now has about 3,000 miles on it, and it looks to be about half worn. I think on a liter bike the rear tire might not last as long as some would like.

When the time is right, I will replace it with another 712.
            To follow up on that, the tires now have about 5,500 miles on them. The front tire is hardly worn, maybe 30% or so, but the rear is probably 80% gone. It still grips the road well without any "greasy" feeling in curves. It will need replaced within the next 1,000 or so miles, I'm guessing. I'll probably just buy a new one this spring and put it on before the riding season begins for me, usually in mid April around here.

So on my 650E (definitely on the lighter side weightwise in the GS family), the 712s will go 12,000 miles up front (minimum), and about 6,000-7,000 on the rear. Not bad for a $110 set of tires that perform very well.

I will also get a set for my "new" CB900f, and see how they do on a heavier, faster bike.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Rambling thoughts about tires --

Having owned Goldwings (read: big heavy machine) over the years I am sensitive to tire capability. The 'Wing wears out tires pretty quickly, and the risk of a catastrophic failure (blowout) is ever present due to it's weight.

I have tried a wide variety of tires on all the bikes I have had through my garage these past few years and I can speak to what I liked and di not like about certain brands and models. However - temper this information with the knowledge that I choose my tires for a combination of load bearing, longevity, grip in all weather and lastly -cost.

On mid-size bikes (CX500's mostly of which I have owned and flipped 3) I have used a few different tires. I did like the Bridgestone Spitfires for their sticky and classic look. They were mid-priced at about $175 per set but delivered excellent longevity as the tires had over 7500 miles on them when I sold that bike.

Dunlop D404 were a brand we used on a small Goldwing (GL1100) and after 9000 miles they were showing their age. Hard and a bit slippy when hard cornering I was disappointed in them and they were another mid-priced set at about $185.

Shinko Tourmaster 230's we put on the GS650GL I had in early 2013 and they were GREAT. Sticky, soft riding, gripping the road and at the price of about $130 per set delivered to my door easily a good purchase. I will buy these again in 2014 for my new-to-me GS850GL without question. I sold the bike after putting on about 500 miles total so I have no long term opinion.

My point is this - while I always consider the budget when doing a tire replacement, I also weigh the cost vs. performance factor and tend to spend a bit more for a better tire whenever I think it is available. The low cost of the Shinko 230's makes them replaceable every year if you ride that much so why would one want to go to a lesser tire if the performance statistics aren't favorable?

The report by Griffin (Thank you for the empirical knowledge) indicates the 712's are good tires, however not for longevity. What we need now is someone with experience on the 230s to speak out about their experience long-term to make a comparison, however the 230s get my vote for now
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                What we need now is someone with experience on the 230s to speak out about their experience long-term to make a comparison, however the 230s get my vote for now
                Brian (bwringer) already did that.

Click HERE.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have read most of the Shinko threads and don't recall seeing anything on either of these tires where they last much over 5 - 6k, if someone has experience with em I'd like to hear it. I had a set of BT-45's on my "G" that I replaced last month at just under 10k, but the all time fav is the Michelin Pilot Activ's. The rear lasted just over 15K and the front would have been on longer but they recommend replacing them in sets.

At today's prices the Michelin's are a hundred bucks more than the Shinko's per set but I'm getting more than double the mileage than anyone here has reported with the Michelin's, so my cost per mile would be significantly less, plus replacing tires more than once a season is not something I like to do.

Granted, I'm not hard on equipment, I have a set of Michelin's on my Toyota 4Runner that have been on there for over 110k and I like the long road so I'll probably get better mileage than the average weekend canyon carver. But all things consiudered, cost per mile and the great luck I have had with the brand, I'll stick with em.

Just sayin..

Comment

On the 230's I avg. 7,000 m. for rear, 11,000 m. front.

Comment

Originally posted by jona View Post
                      On the 230's I avg. 7,000 m. for rear, 11,000 m. front.
                      Ruidoso, one of my favorite places, I try to get up there on one bike or the other twice a year.

Thanks

Comment

I have a set of 230's on my 450. About 8K miles on them now, front is probably good for another 8K, rear has about 1/8th inch of tread on the center, maybe 2-3k more?

I will definaly buy them again. Lots of grip, no weird handling, wearing like Iron, they handle mud, rain and dirt well.

The only bad thing is they are a total ***** to install or remove due to the thick and stiff sidewalls/Bead. Took my dad and I 2 hours to install them. If you get a flat with a tube you might be SOL if you don't have some 2ft long tire irons with you.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyStuff View Post
                          I have a set of 230's on my 450. About 8K miles on them now, front is probably good for another 8K, rear has about 1/8th inch of tread on the center, maybe 2-3k more?

I will definaly buy them again. Lots of grip, no weird handling, wearing like Iron, they handle mud, rain and dirt well.

The only bad thing is they are a total ***** to install or remove due to the thick and stiff sidewalls/Bead. Took my dad and I 2 hours to install them. If you get a flat with a tube you might be SOL if you don't have some 2ft long tire irons with you.
                          I didn't notice them being any harder to install than any other tire. Put a set on my 550 a while ago, unfortunately haven't ridden it much yet. The little bit that I have they seemed fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm sorry, but if you need to strain with two foot tire irons, you're doing something wrong. Very wrong. And you're likely to damage your tire and rim.

I've installed several sets of Shinko 230 and 712 (and 700, and 705, and 244) tires and never had an issue.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                            X