Spoke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Z32650S View Post
    Joe, a question for you on alternate lacing styles.

Do you know if the GS hub/rim lacing can be done in the inner/inner style? Where all the spokes drop into the hub from the outside in. Have you ever done this?

I'm contemplating a build which would require all the caliper clearance I can get. This means no spokes bending outward from the hub. I'm thinking my spokes would have to be stronger though.

I suspect I would just do the inner/inner lacing with custom spokes, going from one hub hole to the nipple directly below and skip one as I go around on the one side.... (just guessing here).

Any down sides with this approach? Should spokes not align straight towards the hub for any reason?

....then again, maybe I should just leave a custom lacing to the pros....
    While I have never laced spokes this way I do not believe it can be done. The inside/outside spoke arrangement allows clearance for the spot where the spokes cross over each other. If they are all inserted the same way they will interfere with each other at the crossing point. I have never seen a motorcycle or bicycle wheel with straight laced spokes so there must be a structural reason for the angled and crossed design. See this thread for lacing and truing tutorials.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
    X