Any experience with Dunlop D404?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with Dunlop D404?

Just purchased these tires for my 81 850G I hope i made the right choice. It was kind of overwhelming.

They are OK, old school tire, some folks used to like them. I think they last quite a while.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I love them on the Cooley. Great sticking in the corners, quiet smooth riding tire.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Fast wear, reasonable stick. Over prices for what they are in my opinion.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Been there , done them

I had them on a 1980 1100 Goldwing.
          After 7500 miles they were still pretty good.
          Watch the pressure and they ride well, stick decent, and wear well.
          Run them too hard and they get slippy, and too soft they wear faster...
          Not rocket science .., just regularly check the air ..
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I havent had anything I would call unreasonably faster wear from mine Ed Ive got maybe 3 ,000 on them and they arent even close to being worn out. Ive taken then at some pretty fast paces thru mny of the Texas hill country twisties and never had any hint of traction breaking either. I must disagree with your accessments..but as Wingsconsin says...REGARDLESS of the tires we are running, we need to periodically recheck the pressures.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When new stuck as well as my bt45 front only with a bt45 in the rear.
              They have stuck well, but felt a noticeable drop in stick within 1,000.
              Do not know how a rear feels as I never had one in the rear.
              Around the same season to replace a bt45 in the front.

Comment

Avon are much better imo

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Avon are much better imo
                  Avon designs from the eighties, not so much. Any of the new tech tires, no comparison. Avon Roadriders, Pirelli Sport Demons, a few others are far better than any thirty year old design.

Comment

I am running the 404s now and I posted how much an improvement they are over the Spitfires I was running. Could have been that the Spitfires were old as I never checked the dates, but the 404s are peg draggers.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                      but the 404s are peg draggers.
                      Try Sport Demons. They are grin draggers.

Comment

To the OP: you'll be fine. Enjoy.

To everyone else: I am a large galoot, I ride very hard, and I tend to get much worse mileage out of tires. Just to show you the variation between riders, I wore out a set of 404s on my 850G in 3,600 miles, and they turned just plain evil during the last 800 or so. The Dunlop 404's short but glorious time in service included a summer trip to the mountain twisties of North Carolina -- 2,500 miles total, including many miles of very hard riding on very abrasive twisty mountain roads. When reasonably fresh, they stuck to the road quite well in wet and dry conditions and handled nicelyl. They were particularly good in the wet, thanks to a soft, sticky compound and lightweight carcass.

Again, normal people will get far better mileage than I did, and most riders will be very happy with these tires. They're a good choice for a lot of people; that said, they weren't the best choice for me.

If you are one of those rare demented types who enjoy exploring the outer limits of shaftie handling on a regular basis, there are choices that hold up better to this type of abuse, such as the Avon AM26 RoadRider (my fave) or the Pirelli Sport Demon (short lived, but probably a few percent stickier).

There are lots of excellent, modern design tires on the market nowadays for our bikes:
                        Avon AM26 RoadRider - $$
                        Pirelli Sport Demon - $$$
                        Shinko 230 - $
                        Shinko 712 (no 17" rears) - $
                        Bridgestone BT45 - $$
                        Continental Go - $$$
                        Michelin Pilot Activ - $$$
                        Dunlop E3 (No 17" rears) - $$$
                        Dunlop 404 (traditional Dunlop tread pattern on a somewhat more modern carcass; can be short-lived) - $$

There are also some still on the market that are rather old designs; there are much better choices now, even if some of these names are fondly remembered:
                        IRC Durotour
                        Bridgestone Spitfire
                        Avon RoadRunner
                        Dunlop Arrowmax GT501
                        Dunlop 491 (no 17" rears; replaced by the E3)
                        Metzeler Lasertec, ME88, ME77, etc.

Not recommended -- reports of problems:
                        Kenda K657 Sport Challenger
                        Duro
                        Several older Dunlop models; many still available, but performance is poor
                        Several older/OEM Bridgestone models; many still available, but performance is poor

No longer available:
                        Cheng Shin <== used to make a great budget tire -- look at the Shinko 230 if you need to save a few bux
                        Continental Milestone
                        Last edited by bwringer; 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have purchased 4 sets of them. They were mounted on the bikes that I didn't ride much, but when ridden, the 404s performed as well as expected, particularly on the 1100E. BTW, they are a decent tire for a decent price, unless one is focused on routinely hammering their machine.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                            I have purchased 4 sets of them. They were mounted on the bikes that I didn't ride much, but when ridden, the 404s performed as well as expected, particularly on the 1100E. BTW, they are a decent tire for a decent price, unless one is focused on routinely hammering their machine.
                            I thought everyone hammered their machines?

Comment

Brian...funny that i saw the IRC Durotour on that list. I was pondering tires a few weeks ago for the Skunk and i chose those for it. Seems to be a good tires so far..but yet here in Oklahoma there arent too many twisties to punish them on.

Comment

Working...
                              X