Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front end feels a little squirmish, remedy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end feels a little squirmish, remedy?

Hi there good folks!
    I took my recent project bike (83 GSX1100ES) out for a short blast after doing some slight carb work and to check for oil leaks and other stuff....

The bike was cruising along good so I went and pushed it pretty good through some sharp turns and fast sweepers but I noticed the front end felt a bit squirmish and was wallowing or something, not sure it just didn't "feel right" compared to my other bike.
    I ran my GS750 the same route a couple of weeks ago and I'm 99% sure it behaved perfectly.
    So the only differences are the GS has progressive springs, a tarozzi fork brace and bridgestone tires. But the GS behaved real good before installing the fork brace too.
    The GSX front end is stock with the spring preload and damper setting stock. It also has some asian tyres i've never heard of, and I think they're old.
    Front fork seals was replaced some weeks ago so oil is good. It's the same oil in the gs too.

So where do I go from here?
    I think the stock settings are 1 on the spring preload and 2 on the dampening adjuster if I remember correctly.

PS: I know some newer springs or progressive springs would probably make a great improvement but I need to work with what I currently have now so please keep that out of the discussion. (for now)

Could be in the front end , but also check your swing arm bearings, they will make a bike wallow and want to standup in a turn.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Could also be the old no-name tire -- I think it would be well worth replacing the rubber in any case.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ditto

Do your tires come with a date stamp?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Could also be the old no-name tire -- I think it would be well worth replacing the rubber in any case.
          I know, I'm just not sure if I'm keeping the bike thats why I've been holding of on it.
          But okay I'm gonna check the air pressure 'cause I've totally forgotten about it and I'll also check the swingarm bearing.

But I'm thinking, I'm around 88-90kg, probably closer to a 95-100 kg depending on the amount of riding gear. These bikes are probably set up for lighter people stock am I right?

The little knob on the bottom of the fork controls damper REbound am I right?
          And this controls how fast the fork returns to it's stock position ?
          The spring preload just compresses the spring more, so turning it in increases the preload and stiffens up the front fork right?
          Should these two be set somewhere in relation to each other?

Comment

Bizarre. You complain about its handling, get good feedback, and then defer to doubts about keeping the bike. What is the logic in this agenda?
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
              Hi there good folks!

PS: I know some newer springs or progressive springs would probably make a great improvement but I need to work with what I currently have now so please keep that out of the discussion. (for now)
              By leaving out this critical component, the advice you got so far is about it. You will only get so far in the attempt of fixing your situation.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Bizarre. You complain about its handling, get good feedback, and then defer to doubts about keeping the bike. What is the logic in this agenda?
                Well, I got the bike dirt cheap and the plan was to fix it and use it this season as a 2-up bike for me and my gf since my GS got cafe'd while I save up some money for a newer ride, problem is there is a guy selling a pretty clean Hayabusa a couple of blocks down from me now, which is sporty, and it can carry 2 persons with more comfort than a pure sport bike which I was planning on buying. So now I'm in kind of in a clinch her, do I sell it now and hopefully make a small profit or at least get my money back to partially fund the 'busa or do I hold off and save money and buy a 'busa next year whitout a loan. Or do I buy it and have three bikes My girl would go nuts but probably only for a short while
                Anyways I don't want to sell a bike with handling issues, and I doubt it's gonna sell the instant I put out an ad so I wan't it to ride good while I have it 'cause even though it's no beauty I still got a big grin when I took it for a test ride the other day. Just a few small fixes and technically it's good!

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                By leaving out this critical component, the advice you got so far is about it. You will only get so far in the attempt of fixing your situation.
                Thanks, we'll see what I do

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Ditto

Do your tires come with a date stamp?
                Yes, I believe so but I can't remember what they said.

Comment

Well, you're definitely going to need new tires if you don't want to sell an unsafe bike, and there are multiple other points you need to consider. If you want a Busa, get a Busa. Everyone and his uncle has one of those, but hell, if that's your cuppa, drink up.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Have you tried playing with the adjustment of the rear shocks?
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

The little knob on the bottom of the fork controls damper REbound am I right?
                      And this controls how fast the fork returns to it's stock position ?
                      The spring preload just compresses the spring more, so turning it in increases the preload and stiffens up the front fork right?
                      Should these two be set somewhere in relation to each other?
                      NO. The adjustment on the bottom of the fork is compression damping.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
                        NO. The adjustment on the bottom of the fork is compression damping.
                        Are you sure? The stuff I've read says these bikes have rebound damping

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        If you want a Busa, get a Busa. Everyone and his uncle has one of those, but hell, if that's your cuppa, drink up.
                        Maybe in your part of the world, not here.... I have considered the balckbird also, but I think it looks dated, I've considered the zx14 but that's way out of my price league, so that leaves the busa...

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        Have you tried playing with the adjustment of the rear shocks?
                        No not yet, I haven't had the time to do anything yet. I got some hours time off tomorrow to play around with...

I just noticed in the manual that recommended fork oil is 15W. I used 10 since that was what came with the bike. Should I replace with 15 ?

Comment

If you truly want to fix the handling, you should do the following. And do it all, not just some of it:
                          Replace the front springs with either Progressive or Sonic springs.
                          Replace the fluid with 15W fork oil.
                          Replace the tires with fresh, current tires. Avon RoadRiders are a favorite for price vs. performance.
                          Anything less will yield unsatisfactory handling.

Comment

Are you sure? The stuff I've read says these bikes have rebound damping ?
                            Copied from the motorcyclist website...
                            Fork Rebound
                            Most rebound adjusters for the fork are located on the fork cap. Note that Showa components often use stepless adjusters, indicated by the punch marks, one on the adjuster and another adjacent. To find the baseline settings, run the adjuster all the way clockwise and then turn outthe specified amount. On most new Hondas, the baseline setting is found by turning the adjuster all the way in and then back out until the punch marks align, and then out a farther full turn. Useful increments for this type of fork are often a quarter or an eighth turn. Incidentally, the word "ten" on the label has nothing to do with the number of adjustments; it signifies "tension," which is just another way of describing rebound damping.

Fork Compression
                            Front-end compression clickers are almost always found on the bottom of the fork leg. Showa 's compression setup is stepless (as with rebound), and the baseline setting is often all the way in plus one turn beyond the first alignment of the punch marks.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...#ixzz30JMd26gv

Comment

If you look at the photograph below, from the Race-Tech website, you could see how an adjustment at the bottom of the fork leg tunes your compression damping.

Comment

Working...
                              X