1980 gs850 gl tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850 gl tire size

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 1980 gs850 gl and want to get new tires. Ive looked at a bunch of different threads on here and see different sizes. Are the size on my bike the only ones that can go on it?

The tire sizes you might find on your bike are a crapshoot -- shops often install whatever they have lying around, so you can't count on that.

First off, be aware that the 1980 GS850GL is a little bit odd -- it has a 17 inch rear wheel. Later GL models used 16 inch rear wheels.

The correct sizes for your bike are:
    100/90-19 front
    130/90-17 rear

Back in 1980, most tires used inch sizing to express the width, so in the fiches you'll find "4.50H-17" for the rear and "3.50H-19" for the front. (The "H" is a weight rating, so you can ignore that for the moment.)

Very few tires are made in inch sizing these days, so you have to convert to modern metric sizing. Technically speaking, 120/90-17 would be closest to the original rear width, but you can safely go to a 130/90-17, which is much easier to find.

And just to get ahead of the most common questions:

1) Your bike originally used tubes. Therefore, you will also need new tubes, unless it's already been converted to tubeless (in which case you should replace the valve stems). Tube sizing can be a little confusing, since they're made in size ranges (they stretch to cover several widths) rather than specific sizes.

2) Modern tires are marked "tubeless". They can be used with or without tubes.

3) Do not install wider tires; you'll goof up the handling. Wider tires can sometimes improve handling on boring low-tech appliances such as cars, but motorcycles require tires the correct width so they can lean smoothly.

4) Yes, it's possible to convert your rims to tubeless. The safest and best option if you have any doubts whatsoever is always to stay with the factory setup and use tubes. If you insist on converting, you'll need special motorcycle valve stems and special tooling to create a sealing surface for the valve inside the rim.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the info, im getting the carbs rebuilt and ordered new intake boots and should be up and running. There are little things i can do over time but im looking forward to riding. Do you recommend any good sites for parts

Comment

I've been running tubeless front and rear on both my '80 GS850L and my '83 GS1100G for several years now, no problems. In fact, the front rim says it's rated tubeless. I buy all my tires from Motorcycle Superstore.com, I install my own. I'm currently running Shinko 705 series dual sport tires front and rear. They handle well even in dirt and sand, that's why I buy them. I get about 8k out of the rear, and 16k out of the front. No problem on pavement, rain or snow either.

Comment

Do enduro tires look good on these bikes? Are motorcycle tires hard to install yourself? Id like to be able to do what i can in order to save myself money.

Comment

Originally posted by 2bearms View Post
            Do enduro tires look good on these bikes? Are motorcycle tires hard to install yourself? Id like to be able to do what i can in order to save myself money.
            Negative on the "enduro" tires. Those are intended for dirt bikes, and the 850 ain't no dirt bike, although some people take them down a dirt road from time to time.

Yes on changing the tires yourself. You Tube has lots of videos to teach you the way. Maybe you should do some research and then decide if you are up to it.

Good luck
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

on-line

Buy your tires on-line. You can find some good prices. Many offer free shipping. Before attempting to mount them yourself, call around. I found a small independant tire shop that mounted the pair for $20.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

The H was for the speed rating not weight, these were the popular speed ratings back in the early and mid 80s S, H, and V. I always tried to use an H rated tire on my bike when I could.

• M — Up to 81 mph
                • N — Up to 87 mph
                • P — Up to 93 mph
                • Q — Up to 99 mph
                • R — Up to 106 mph
                • S — Up to 112 mph
                • T — Up to 118 mph
                • H — Up to 130 mph
                • V — Up to 149 mph
                • W — Up to 168 mph
                • Y — Up to 186 mph

Sometimes a Z rating is placed on tires rated above 149mph.

Load ranges use an Alpha rating like Load range B, C, etc.

You also have a load rating index now as well.The Load Rating or Load Index indicates how much weight each tire can safely support.

Wait a couple years, they will come up with something new again.
                Last edited by mrbill5491; 06-08-2014, 06:20 PM.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Got my bike back and its running pretty good, i went for a 2 hour ride and it was a blast. I will be ordering my tires in the next week or so. Im up for giving it a shot when it comes to diy tires. Shops here in idaho falls charge $35 a tire off the bike $45 on the bike per tire.

Comment

I have bought a number of sets of tires from "motorcycle-superstore.com" and they ship free, and fast.

Here's a link below that I was just noticing and was gonna check out myself:

1979 GS1000

Comment

Wholesale Pricing On OEM Parts For Suzuki, KTM, & Yamaha. Specializing in Suzuki & Yamaha Vintage Motorcycle Parts.

i've had plenty of folks suggest this place.

Comment

Is it possible to stiffen up the shocks ? I like the ride but wouldn't mind it being a bit stiffer

Comment

Is it possible to stiffen up the shocks ? I like the ride but wouldn't mind it being a bit stiffer
                          Did you crank up the preload all the way? Adjust the damping? Download the owners manual here if you don't know what I'm talking about...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Got my bike back and its running pretty good, i went for a 2 hour ride and it was a blast. I will be ordering my tires in the next week or so. Im up for giving it a shot when it comes to diy tires. Shops here in idaho falls charge $35 a tire off the bike $45 on the bike per tire.
                            That's cheap. Around here, expect $70-95 on or off the bike, whether you buy them at their store or not.

Comment

For that kind of money, I would DEFINITELY be getting a tire changer from Harbor Freight.

Actually I would have one now, but don't have any room to store it, so I just just a towel on top of my trash barrel and use my irons.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X