Avon Road Rider Cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea, it's kind of an old thread,
    but that bastard avon on the front of the 1150 (110/90 16) is cupping like a bastard. No cracking though, also, that is not the only brand that cups on that bike.
    the only tire i am ever putting on the front of that bike again is a Metzler Lazertec....
    ...bastard
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
      that is not the only brand that cups on that bike.
      Thats curious..... I wonder if something on the bike is causing this. Bent fork ? Under / over inflation ? Weak fork springs ? etc...... My front RR is 4 years old now and is holding up nicely.

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Ill let you know how mine held up to the MN winter.....around May 2015.
      Looked good coming out of storage and has held up well all summer long. No cracks. By far the best "feeling" tire Ive had on this bike.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It's cosmetic guys, get over it. If Avon is lying about it, Where are all the blown apart tires and crashed bikes at?
        Nevermind the fact that it would be suicide for Any company to continue to produce a truly defective tire, not to mention a government investigation.
        I've had my RR's for 4 years now, no problems.

Comment

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have had a set of avon road runners tyres that cracked and not many miles before they ran bare fornt tyre was ok for cracking but did not last longer than the back...

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
              It's cosmetic guys, get over it. If Avon is lying about it, Where are all the blown apart tires and crashed bikes at?
              Nevermind the fact that it would be suicide for Any company to continue to produce a truly defective tire, not to mention a government investigation.
              I've had my RR's for 4 years now, no problems.
              I agree. I would think that there are very few people on the forum that have put more miles on Avons in the last 4 years than me. Some cracking..yes. No problems associated with cracking. Period.
              No signature

Comment

110/90-18 front, n o cracking. 150/70-18 rear with 200 miles stored in Texas over last winter, very cracked sidewall and even in the tread grooves slightly. The grip with it mounted to a 3.50 rear rim is not nearly as good as my 140/70-18 Shinko SR741 (same compound as my Shinko 230 TourMaster fronts). I can whack the throttle at 10-15 mph on the Avon and spin up the tire quite a lot, and worse, getting on the throttle out of low to medium speed turns, I frequently have broken loose the rear end accidentally, leading to a bit of unexpected drifting, as well as lack of confidence in the cornering capabilities of both tires. On the Shinko, this accidental rear end drifting while powering out of low/medium speed turns only occurred if I really pushed it coming out of a turn, and was far more predictable and quite fun if you wanted to really goose it. On the Avon, it is a but alarming, comes unexpectedly.

Only problem with the Shinko is that the tread gets pretty flat by 4000 miles and leaning into corners changes noticably. Still, for the price, the Shinko performs AMAZINGLY.

I wondered if my traction issues would go away if I had a 4.00 rim with the 150/70-18, or 140/70 on the 3.50 rim, which Avon says is the best fit (150/70 on a 3.5 is considered acceptable, however, by Avon's fit chart). The tire profile could be pinched in just enough to give me less contact patch and steeper radius profile on the tread curvature.
                Last edited by Chuck78; 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                X