Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with GS1000G front forks

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here while I have been lurking in the shadows for some time. I just want to thank you for all the nice info I have got from here!

I have been fixing my dad's old bike that had been idle for some 9+ years. I was going to replace the fork oil and seals but then I got a little confused because according to the repair manual the bike should have air forks. But in mine it has a screw for adjusting the fork instead. Now after discovering that I have been looking for new springs for this GS1000G 1980 model.

I found (in an old parts catalogue) that there are indeed 51103-45160 and 51104-45160 forks that has this kind of setup. The air forks are 51103-45101 and 51104-45101. Then the bad news to me was that these forks use different springs atleast different part numbers.

Does anyone know is there real difference between these springs? Are the progressive springs compatible with my forks?

I took few pictures if anybody has seen similar forks and attached link to a page with picture that seems to be from the forks I have. http://www.cmsnl.com/products/damper.../#.U4TuRShW-1M

Is it possible that different setups were delivered to different markets? The parts catalogue lists E2, E4, E17, E18, E21, E22, E24, E25, E26, E34, E39 for these forks, but I am not sure what those mean.

-Wobbler
    Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM. Reason: Smaller pictures

IIRC, shafties in some markets outside the US got adjustable preload.

Approximately where on this big blue marble floating through space are you and the GS?

However, I note that the turn signals and the headlight bucket are not stock, so perhaps there was some front-end damage to the forks as well that got repaired with parts bolted on from another GS.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I note that the turn signals and the headlight bucket are not stock, so perhaps there was some front-end damage to the forks as well that got repaired with parts bolted on from another GS.
      My thoughts exactly Brian.

According to the Sonic website, the springs are the same for the GS1000E/EN/G/L/S

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        However, I note that the turn signals and the headlight bucket are not stock, so perhaps there was some front-end damage to the forks as well that got repaired with parts bolted on from another GS.
        I also note that there is a chrome fender.

Was not aware that anything non-"L" that was newer than '79 had chrome fenders.

Yes, the US market had air-assited forks, other markets had other options.

Progressive (brand) springs would be compatible, but Sonic (straight-rate) springs might be just a bit better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You spot everything . The bike had Windjammer fairing and I replaced it with non original headlamp and turn signals are from some GS1100? I think. I just wanted some square turn signals similar to the ones it had on tail. It had chrome front fender but this one I got used from ebay as the original was in so bad condition.

I live in Finland. Other than the signal lights and headlamp I don't know much what has been done to the bike before my dad bought it used. (Sorry about the dirty bike it was one night in rain and now has pollen every where)

Nice to hear that there shouldn't be problem with the springs. It would be good to be able to buy the springs without opening the forks and measuring them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I also note that there is a chrome fender.

Was not aware that anything non-"L" that was newer than '79 had chrome fenders.
            We had Chrome Fenders on models other than L's over here after '79, so i assume England and South Africa were probably the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbler View Post
              Nice to hear that there shouldn't be problem with the springs. It would be good to be able to buy the springs without opening the forks and measuring them.
              You will find that one spring will fit many bikes, possibly with different fork lengths. That is because they use a spring that the shortest fork can use, then use spacers of varying lengths above the springs for the longer forks.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                We had Chrome Fenders on models other than L's over here after '79, so i assume England and South Africa were probably the same?
                Yes my Australia delivered 1981 GS1000G has a chrome front guard and preload adjustable forks - no air.
                Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                1977 GS400
                1974 Montesa 250
                1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
                  Yes my Australia delivered 1981 GS1000G has a chrome front guard and preload adjustable forks - no air.
                  My 81 850GX , originally UK registered, is the same and the spring lengths are the same as stock for the air assist forks according to the manual.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My '81 GS1000G, air assist forks and plastic colour coded mudguard.

Comment

Those turn signals are the same as USA stock for 1981.

Interesting about the preload in other markets.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                      X