Tire age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire age

Do (tubed) tires become unsafe with age even if they have plenty of tread and no cracks, no visible or performance flaws?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Yes.

The rubber compound hardens a bit each year.

Hard to say where to draw the line, exactly, but I would never install tires more than two or three years old or ride on tires more than five years old. Others may feel differently, but that's a common rule of thumb.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It has nothing to do with tubes or tubeless. Tire rubber ages quickly.

Depends on where they are stored too. Out in the sun a few years will do them in. Stored in a dark, cool, and dry place they do OK for longer. Hot and humid, not so good either.
      Ozone also accelerates the aging.

They get harder, so less traction, the rubber comes off faster anyway, and when you least expect it they delaminate and blow.

Last fall I rode my new 1979 550 on it's original Mag Mopus front tire, and a once replaced rear tire from the early 80s. Very slow ride, it felt squirely as can be, after several times around the block about 2/3 of the tread rubber was gone. That's extreme, but a tire ten years old will be very slippery, one five years old will be noticeably harder and less sticky than a new one. Dig your fingernail into a tire two years old, the rubber feels harder than a brand new version of the same tire.

The 450 I just picked up has a new front tire in 2009, the rear is from the nineties. It is very hard compared to the front, but they are both going away before I ride it.

How long to run an old tire? Do you feel lucky? I change them out after a few years because new tires feel incredibly soft and sticky, they ride so much nicer, there's nothing quite like a nice tight motorcycle on sticky new tires. Five years old they are gone, no matter how new they look.

The ony bad falls I have ever taken were both caused by old tires, Im done with pushing my luck on it.

Tires are cheap, broken bones are not.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There's no way for me to know how old the tires are, since I've only owned the bike less than eight months.

The only experience I have with buying a new tire was for the rear of my Z1 in the mid '80's. I ordered the best Dunlop, and when the man asked, "street compound or race compound?," I gave the wrong answer. That thing was hard as a rock and as slippery as...as slippery as a cold race tire.

Won't make that mistake again. I'll get a matched set of something, I'm not concerned with how long they last, I just want the softest, stickiest, grippiest tires made!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          There's no way for me to know how old the tires are, since I've only owned the bike less than eight months.
          Check the date code.

Comment

Sure there is.

Look on the sidewall for the DOT number. Can't say how many digits there will be, probably 10 or 12 or so. The last few will likely be in a separate block. If there are three digits, the first two are the week number, the third will be the last digit of the year. For example, if you see "243", it will have been made in the 24th week of a year ending in 3, so probably 1983 or 1993.

In 2000, they changed the scheme a bit to a 4-digit code, so that same tire would have a code of 2403 or 2413, showing a manufacturing date of the 24th week of 2003 or 2013.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I replaced the old tyres on the bike with a set of the same - Conti TKV 11 & 12 and the change was like night and day. The old front, 14 years, was barely worn but was showing cracks. The rear was younger, 9 years I think, well worn but no visible cracks.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

So Rob, how old are the tires on your bike?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Theres a kidney bean shaped area with 4 digits, The first two are the WEEK of the year and the last two are the year. for example a code of 1714 would be the 17th week of 2014.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Rob 1300 post in 6 months are they all in the OT?Try reading some of the Technical forums Im sure it 's been talked about in the last 6 months.
                    81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

He'll just ride it until it pops.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Tires are cheap, broken bones are not.
                        Solid words of advice right there.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        He'll just ride it until it pops.
                        Some people like the suspense, it adds excitement to every ride.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          So Rob, how old are the tires on your bike?
                          Had to ignore Suzi for a few days - health problems (cancer) of close family member.

Tkent02, time to make a snide comment about how it'll soon be me with the health problems if I don't follow your advice ASAP.

Mmattockx, how noble of you to support this site anonymously! (You too, Yank)

Comment

Had to ignore Suzi for a few days - health problems (cancer) of close family member.

Tkent02, time to make a snide comment about how it'll soon be me with the health problems if I don't follow your advice ASAP.

Mmattockx, how noble of you to support this site anonymously! (You too, Yank)
                            Must be true, Can't buy knowledge.
                            81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

I just polished off a head of lettuce that was 14 years old and had 8000 miles on it. A little slippery in the corners for the last year of use.

I don't mess with Arugula though.
                              Last edited by isleoman; 05-31-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X