No announcement yet.

Lost my brakes in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone should upgrade them, but not everyone will. I have never advocated not upgrading them.
    Those who don't upgrade still deserve functional brakes, not some bonehead telling them it's normal for them not to work. You are not the bonehead I'm referring to.
    My beef was not with you, but with the other guy saying thats how the crappy old brakes are supposed to work, failing in the rain, with brake fluid dripping out. It is not.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Everyone should upgrade them, but not everyone will. I have never advocated not upgrading them.
      Those who don't upgrade still deserve functional brakes, not some bonehead telling them it's normal for them not to work. You are not the bonehead I'm referring to.
      My beef was not with you, but with the other guy saying thats how the crappy old brakes are supposed to work, failing in the rain, with brake fluid dripping out. It is not.
      Tom,

Tru dat.

For a curmudgeon, you're right a lot.

Comment

Truce. There's room enough for two ass****s here.

Comment

I don't think anyone is advocating neglect of basic brake maintenance on the basis that they are doomed to be bad in the wet. Everyone reading this forum, especially coming from a car background, should understand that to a far greater extent than any other road vehicle, maintenance is your neck. What does bad mean anyway - it's relative. Some unconsciously expect degradation or will have slowed more than the brakes degrade. Maybe they don't trust tyres in the wet and back off completely.
          The question is was there a time and place when the reduction of brake performance in the wet on new bikes could scare the living **** out of you and the answer to that is definitely yes and no amount of maintenance could rectify it. You learned to slow down but it could still take you by surprise. It's that first half second after you squeeze that makes the biggest and longest lasting impression. As for dragging them every few miles to keep them dry don't make me laugh. Might as well be submerged down there when it's raining stair rods.
          If you look at early brake designs they seem rudimentary now but at least back then everyone understood that they were what they were and you lived with it. The problem is when a brake is one thing in the dry but is different by a large margin in the wet.
          If I recall correctly discs were a cost decision. Many argued that drums were superior inherently and they persisted on the track for a time. It appears that discs went through an evolutionary process to erode the difference between wet and dry but some riders at certain times found the variation scary.
          This New Scientist article in from 1984 and Suzuki don't come too well out of it.
          Last edited by Brendan W; 06-14-2014, 11:15 AM.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Exactly.
            Suzuki (and the other makers) knew they were selling death on wheels to hapless riders who used them in the rain. The 1980 bike was a turning point ....
            I rode a 1974 GT550 roughly 25K miles, and probably a thousand were in the rain and another thousand on wet roads. That included rain so heavy that I had to leave the road because I could only see a few feet in front of me. Other than needing a fraction of a second to dry off the front disc, braking began quickly and was linear to applied pressure in all conditions. Unless the water sprayed on your brakes contains lubricants, the OE braking system works well enough for the intended purpose.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Jesus, you really are some sort of prize.
              Once again, you're putting words in my mouth - stop it; it makes you look as if you lack comprehension skills.
              If I'd actually MEANT to say to him - put up with it, we all had to, and it's some sort of initiation ceremony, tough luck - I would have actually written that. But no, I didn't. I just pointed out that late 70's brakes were crap, they're still crap and they will always be crap. I really don't care about your opinions and the opinions of some who hardly ever got their bikes away from the polishing rag; you will not change my mind on this - I've been through some real crap weather with the 70's brakes and it's something I never want to do again.
              And as for your snidey remarks about my standards of maintenace, you wouldn't be saying that to my face.
              Last edited by Grimly; 06-14-2014, 09:10 PM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, I probably would.

You should read what you wrote instead of whining.

Comment

The OP was losing brake fluid. Tom said that the brakes needed attention. Others chimed to say Suzi brakes were sh1te. Yet more others said different.Wet weather overshadowed loss of fluid. Most missed that. Point remains - if your brakes are leaking fluid, they need attention.
                  1980 GS550ET

Comment

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along.

This flake says that's how they roll.

He's full of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      This New Scientist article in from 1984 and Suzuki don't come too well out of it.
                      http://books.google.ie/books?id=f7DY...%20wet&f=false
                      It was an utter disgrace that the Motorcycle Industry Association was able to delay the implementation of safety measures like that. Another factor that doesn't seem to register with people here, is the poor availability of better pads at the time and even when they were available they were often three times the price of normal pads - and chewed discs up. So, many people stuck with normal pads for better or worse and tried to reach a compromise.
                      Yet another thing that some don't register is the drenching conditions when in the middle of endless clouds of motorway spray - spray kicked up by wheels of big rigs - miles and miles of them.
                      It was crap - it was utter crap. Thank gawd I survived it.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along.

This flake says that's how they roll.

He's full of it.
                        Nastly little creature.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Yet another thing that some don't register is the drenching conditions when in the middle of endless clouds of motorway spray - spray kicked up by wheels of big rigs - miles and miles of them.
                          It was crap - it was utter crap. Thank gawd I survived it.
                          You think it only rains in Ireland?
                          Most of us survived, it wasn't any big deal.

People who couldn't ride sometimes didn't fare so well.

Just as a poor craftsman blames his tools, a poor rider blames his motorcycle.

Comment

I would imagine it's easy enough to 'survive' something that hasn't been experienced.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous

Comment

There's a nasty rumour going around that somewhere on this thread 30000 posts told 300 posts to get off his computer and do some maintenance.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                                I would imagine it's easy enough to 'survive' something that hasn't been experienced.
                                Yes; I imagine Captain Querulous there fondly imagines he rode in the same rain/spray I did. I can assure him, his axlehole would be so puckered the seat would resemble the Rockies, assuming he ever got out of Granny Mode.
                                Whatever, the silly old fool is on my ignore list for a while.
                                I'd still like to see him say things like he did to my face - typical keyboard warrior.
                                ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X