Lost my brakes in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost my brakes in the rain

Got caught in a little rain on my way back from a bike show yesterday. It had only been raining for a couple of minutes and I hadn't ridden through any puddles, but as I turned into my subdivision I realized that my front brakes were gone. Tried to use my back brake to stop but with the wet pavement it locked up and I started to slide. Somehow I managed to recover and avoid hitting the median or laying it down and I managed to make my way home SLOWLY.

Awhile back I noticed a small drip of brake fluid coming from the lower part of one of the front calipers. I am assuming that the rain washed some of this down onto the rotors which caused my front brakes to fail.

It has been raining off and on here since so I haven't tested the bike now that it is dry but does that sound plausible?

These bikes have famously bad wet weather brakes stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
      This was the first time I've been in the rain with a GS so I have nothing to compare it to but I can't imagine that they would fail completely without having ran through deep water or some other external factor affecting them.

Comment

As soon as you noticed the drip from a vital part such as your front brakes you should have taken action to identify and correct.
        Now that I am done scolding you for that
        I would make sure that the problem is from your drip and not from some douche messing with it at the show.
        If somebody was messing with it give the bike a thorough inspection!

Comment

Stock brakes for me have always been about the same wet. HH pads in the twin-pot caliper upgrade are no good in the wet for the first few rotations.

The front brakes are "gone"? Meaning no pressure at the lever, or just completely ineffective? If you can still build pressure, find the leak, fix it, and put on some fresh pads. It's probably long overdue for a caliper rebuild, which isn't that difficult. Just messy. Big-time safety issue. You got lucky this time, it wasn't a left-turner. You could have got yourself splatted.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
            As soon as you noticed the drip from a vital part such as your front brakes you should have taken action to identify and correct.
            Now that I am done scolding you for that
            I would make sure that the problem is from your drip and not from some douche messing with it at the show.
            If somebody was messing with it give the bike a thorough inspection!
            I hear ya. Lesson learned. I'm sure it had something to do with the rain cause they were rock solid up till that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              The front brakes are "gone"? Meaning no pressure at the lever, or just completely ineffective? If you can still build pressure, find the leak, fix it, and put on some fresh pads. It's probably long overdue for a caliper rebuild, which isn't that difficult. Just messy. Big-time safety issue. You got lucky this time, it wasn't a left-turner. You could have got yourself splatted.
              There was pressure, they just wouldn't grab. I only had a second but I tried pumping a few times just to make sure and to try to dry them enough so they would grab but it was to no avail. It was still pouring for the last 2 miles home so I wasn't really testing them but they seemed to regain a little grab by the time I got home so I am pretty sure it just that the rain washed a little of the brake fluid on the rotor. That wouldn't explain why the other front brake didn't grab though....

Actually I rebuilt the brakes earlier this year right before I got the bike back on the road. New pads, new pistons and seals in the calipers and new SS lines front and back and I disassembled and cleaned the master cylinders. Not sure why the one is leaking but I am going to pull it apart and investigate this week.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlateSpecial View Post
                There was pressure, they just wouldn't grab. I only had a second but I tried pumping a few times just to make sure and to try to dry them enough so they would grab but it was to no avail. It was still pouring for the last 2 miles home so I wasn't really testing them but they seemed to regain a little grab by the time I got home so I am pretty sure it just that the rain washed a little of the brake fluid on the rotor. That wouldn't explain why the other front brake didn't grab though....

Actually I rebuilt the brakes earlier this year right before I got the bike back on the road. New pads, new pistons and seals in the calipers and new SS lines front and back and I disassembled and cleaned the master cylinders. Not sure why the one is leaking but I am going to pull it apart and investigate this week.
                Hmmm. Maybe a little contamination under a seal or crush washer (assuming the pistons and seal grooves were in good condition). Yeah, the other side should have grabbed. Have you tried them again with everything dry? Maybe the pads you put in don't like water. I'm not sure of all the compounds available for stock calipers.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I had an 83 1100e years ago. The front brakes totally sucked in the rain...Luckily I found this out after washing it and taking it for a quick spin to dry it off. If caught Iin the rain, I would periodically drag the brake to keep it dry. Hindsight says I should have experimented with new pads, as the brake system itself was in good working order. Glad you didnt dump it....
                  One of the first things I did when I got my 1150 was to ride in the rain to check the brakes in the wet...no problems...
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

And new pads too. Those once are probably now contaminated with brake fluid.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Never had any problems with GS brakes in the rain. Something else is wrong.

I suppose contamination from an old brake fluid or fork oil spill that the rain washed into the brake pad is one possibility.

I've had issues after riding through tons of mud, but it seems you would have noticed that. I've also had issues when it's cold enough to freeze water in the brake calipers, but it seems you would have noticed that as well...

Are you using decent name brand brake pads? Some of the no-name Chinese cheapies infesting eBay seem OK when dry, but get scary when wet or hot.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
                        After several thousand miles of riding a GS in the rain I never noticed any special problem. Forum members with many times my experience and with extensive experience riding other makes and models haven't complained about any general problem.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Looks like some new pads are in order. Any suggestions on what brand/where to buy? Preferably something reasonably priced....

Comment

BS, no they do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              BS, no they do not.
                              +1, pure BS.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X