Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacement for caliper bolts (OEM or local?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement for caliper bolts (OEM or local?)

While investigating a sound I heard while riding, I found that my lower left front caliper bolt was MIA. Is this something I can find at a local hardware store or should I order them?

Parts Outlaw part number:
    09103-10019

You might not find it at a hardware store, but your local auto parts store (Autozone or Advance, believe it or not) should have a bolt that will work fine. It will have a yellowish shiny coating rather than the OEM greenish-black.

They'll have a rotating rack of bolts, and the bolts for Asian (JIS) vehicles will be grouped together.

If you're replacing one of the 10mm bolts, be aware that it's a fine thread -- M10X1.25 and the wrench size will be 14mm just like stock.

Not sure on the length -- you measure just the shaft of the bolt, not including the head. Probably 20mm or 25mm.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It's actually 10mm x 37mm.

If you want a used OEM one I have a bunch of them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        It's actually 10mm x 37mm.

If you want a used OEM one I have a bunch of them.
        Thanks, TK -- I might have been thinking of the rear caliper bolts. Don't have a GS in front of me at the moment...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I just googled the part number.

Comment

i'll swing by an auto parts store tomorrow.

tkent02, if i can't find one i'll be sending you a pm.

thanks guys.

Comment

Bear in mind that that screw is marked 7 as opposed to the 4 and standard fasteners. I don't know how that translates to 8.8 or 12.9 you will find in commercial fasteners but you are looking at high strength in all probability as the 7 takes twice the torque of the 4s etc.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I was able to find 10 x 35 and 10 x 40 with an 8.5 "strength." Maybe one will work until I get the corrent length.

Comment

You could have had mine by now.

Comment

no kidding. i was out of town though and worked with what was available. pm me your paypal address and i can send you whatever you want to ship me a couple.

Comment

Working...
                    X