PVC spacer for sonic springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PVC spacer for sonic springs

Hi guys, I just purchased some sonic springs for my 78 gs750, I completely understand how to measure and cut the spacer to take up the pre-load, but the 78 750 has 2 springs, is the pvc spacer suppose to take the place of the smaller spring?

Cheers

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 269-385-1540

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
    Hi guys, I just purchased some sonic springs for my 78 gs750, I completely understand how to measure and cut the spacer to take up the pre-load, but the 78 750 has 2 springs, is the pvc spacer suppose to take the place of the smaller spring?

Cheers

http://www.suzukipart.com/oemparts/a...nt-fork-gs750b

Give Sonic a call, they are very helpful folks.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

You should end up with one spring, one spacer and one washer between them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've already sent an e-mail to Sonic, just waiting for a response, thought I would ask the board and see who has replaced their front fork springs on a 78 750 before?
        I guess the pvc spacer is suppose to take the place of the smaller spring? I don't see any other way.

Comment

PM Richdesmond here on GSR. He either works for or is owner of Sonic. Something like that. Knows his **** about suspension tuning.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

..., thought I would ask the board and see who has replaced their front fork springs on a 78 750 before?
            I have not specifically done a '78 750, but I have done fork spring replacements on several bikes. All of them have been Progressives so far, but my Sonic springs will be in mid-week.

In all of the installs so far, it will be like I outlined earlier, you will have the new spring, a washer and a spacer. The length of the spacer will be determined by your bike and you. As a starting point, start with the new spring in place, make sure the forks are fully extended, measure from the top of the new spring to the top of the fork tube. Cut your PVC spacer that length. You will have to compress it a bit to get the threads to catch, but that will probably be just about the right amount of preload.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You'll throw out (carefully, they might bounce back) the two stock springs that are in each fork leg and replace them with one Sonic spring in each fork leg and a spacer cut to the correct length.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I understand how to measure and cut the spacer, if you look at my first post there is a link to the parts fiche with an exploded view of the front forks,

My question is do I keep the smaller spring then add the spacer or remove the smaller spring and cut the spacer from the new spring to the top of the fork?

Comment

My question is do I keep the smaller spring then add the spacer or remove the smaller spring and cut the spacer from the new spring to the top of the fork?
                  No, you do not keep the smaller spring.

What was unclear about the two previous replies telling you that?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Please go back re-read posts 3, 6 and 7.

If it is still unclear, please put down the tools.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure,

cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X