The Bouncing Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bouncing Beast

So the Beast came to me with Koni rear shocks. I was happy. Then I found the rear wheel bouncing violently under braking. I am no longer happy.
    ( I'm glad I was not in a curve at the time!)
    The shocks are "boingers", no damping at all.

They say "7610F-1282"
    I look up that number, found out they belong on a GS400 or GN250?
    Anyone know if I should try to rebuild these, or will they always be too small for my bike?
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

I don't know anything about shocks but if they are rated for a 400 or 250...NO, they will not suffice for your 1000.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

They might not even be genuine Konis - the GS400/GN250 origins makes me leary - there's a lot of Chinese factories knocking out cycle parts for those models as they're very popular there.
      You can have a factory put whatever name you like on a shock.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well, the number is correct for Konis and it should say Koni on the top collar

I'd pull the spring off one and manually check the dampening first

Konis can be rebuilt, and parts are available, but it may be cheaper to buy some new shocks and sell these off to someone with a 550 or 450

Plus, they're old. Koni stopped making bike shocks ages ago. Ikon makes them now

Are you sure your braking issue isn't the result of a too soft front fork?
        Last edited by Big T; 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I love the look of that bike!

Comment

If they are rebuildable Konis and they fit a 1980 450 I need a pair for mine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd have another set of Marzocchis like a shot - until they succumbed to alloy collar rot, they were a good balance of stiffness and damping. The ones I fitted were originally on a GT750 Kwack so were kinda sorta the right spring rate, but Marz of the day were known to be a bit stiffer out of the box, so the match was fine.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

They are real Koni.
                Wold anyone really pay for blown-out shocks? These things have no dampening left.. nothing.
                Suggestions on where to buy replacements?
                1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

I think Progressives are the best value. Or Hagons. YS is the next step up (I think). Beyond that you are getting into big money.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Wow, I just found re-build kits for $49 !

(but they still are the wrong ones for my bike)

and a "how-to" : http://forums.cycleworld.com/showthread.php?t=133679

Comment

"If they are rebuildable Konis and they fit a 1980 450 I need a pair for mine."

tkent02, I would sell them to you, but you said bad things about my L , so you can't have them.

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                        tkent02, I would sell them to you, but you said bad things about my L , so you can't have them.
                        Fair enough. But I see you sold the (L)adie's and bought a (G)entlemen's. You know.

Comment

Just kidding.
                          If / when I find something to replace these, you are first in line.

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                            Just kidding. If / when I find something to replace these, you are first in line.
                            OK, cool!

I won't run out and buy any Ohlins or anything.

Thanks!

Comment

The kit says it fits all the 7610 series shocks, so you would be OK

Sell them to Tom and get some that are correct for your bike
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X