1979 GS850 Brake Rebuild Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 Brake Rebuild Kits

I have done some searching online for caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits for my 1979 GS850. The rear caliper and cylinder kits are found easily enough but the front brake kits seem illusive. Plenty of options for the 1980 GS850G front brakes, which makes me wonder if the 1980 kit will work on a 1979 model.

I apologize if this has been covered but the forum search I tried yielded no results. If anyone knows if the 1980 kits will work on a 1979 model, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks.

The 1980 brakes are very different, so the 1980 kits will not work.

Avoid aftermarket kits, if you find any -- they're dangerous junk. Get your brake parts only from Suzuki.

As far as the '79 calipers, you can get the OEM piston seals and boots from Suzuki, but you can't get the pistons any more. If it turns out your old pistons aren't usable, post in parts wanted and you should be able to scare up some better ones.

You can also get the parts you'll need for the master cylinder from Suzuki (piston & cup set, o-ring, reservoir).
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ok very good. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi Bandit RE,

I'm just about to do the same rebuild. I have a '79 GS850 that I just purchased to restore. I would appreciate knowing how you made out. When I pull the calipers apart I'll have a better idea what I'm into but I'm sure I'll have to do a complete rebuild as the bike has not been ridden (stored in a dry garage under a tarp) for 25 years.

Scott.

Comment

I have a 1979 GS750L that I took apart the front master cylinder on. I really hope I ordered the correct front mc rebuild kit!

Yesterday I ordered the following from parts outlaw:
          .PISTON & CUP SET
          Options: Old Sku: 59600-45810
          Item #59600-45811

Comment

The '80-onwards calipers are a straight bolt-on fit to the '79 forks. The nicest thing I can say about the '79 calipers is they're a nice handful for getting a good heft on to throw a very great distance indeed.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

LOL! Thanks Dave! I'll take that as some advise to begin looking for some later year calipers for my 79.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                LOL! Thanks Dave! I'll take that as some advise to begin looking for some later year calipers for my 79.
                You won't regret it - if you want to keep a fairly original look, they work well (but Salty Monk's conversion to Kwack calipers is something that's been tickling my fancy). However, I can honestly say that if the OEM 80-on calipers are kept in good order, with modern pads fitted (and you keep an eye on the wear of the sliding pins), they're actually pretty good brakes. Ok, not up to later superbike stoppers, but good enough.
                Only thing to watch for upgrading to the 80-ons; avoid the 'L' brakes - the calipers are the same, but the mounting bracket is wrong for the non-L forks and will cause the caliper to catch the disc. Thing to look for is a bevelled edge on the bracket - the non-L has straight sides to it.
                I found this out...
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

To confirm I got the rebuild kit #59600-45811 for my 79 GS750L and it worked perfectly!

Comment

Hi!
                    Just found this thread and it is very appropriate today.

I have a 1979 GS750L, the forks are 37MM, mag wheels, and currently has two calipers, AND THE AXLE opening is about 3 inches from the bottom of the fork and facing forward. So, if I'm reading the thread correctly, I can get a set of "bolt on-no modification" calipers from GS 750s from 1980 thru 1983? Just need to avoid anything from the L models.

if that is correct, I'll be happy camper.

Comment

If you have 'L' forks, you need the 'L' mounting brackets, as they have the necessary scallop cut-out to align the calipers properly on the mount points, rotors and legs. The actual calipers cross-over from 'L' to non-'L', being a common part. From what I see, 80 - 83 calipers are all the same that way, and it's possible that 83 - onwards for a couple of years might be a fit too, but since there's an external difference in appearance, I've avoided picking the later ones up.
                      To sum up; you can fit 80-on brakes to a '79 model, but if that model is an 'L', you will need the 'L' caliper mounting brackets.
                      ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X