82 1100e - front fork bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100e - front fork bolt

Well I put a new front tire on Skunky1100 and I probably didn't tighten stuff in the right order and stripped out one of the bottom bolts that holds the clamp on the front axle.

It wasn't compressing around the axle tightly. Temporarily I found another nut that had more thread and got that to stay but doesn't compress the clamp all the way either.

I know I can get the bolt threaded and a new nut but then they wont match the other fork nuts... so I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced one of the bottom fork bolts or has any advise?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

They're available at Suzuki for about $1.50/ea. I changed mine when I did the fork seals

Comment

These studs strip out sooner or later on almost every GS.

They're pretty easy to replace. Remove at least one with a big pair of Vice-Grips and go get new 8mm studs from a real auto parts store or a real hardware store (NOT AutoClownz or Advance, NOT Meanards, bLowes, or Home Despot). Make sure they're the same length or a bit longer.

Or order them from Suzuki, but they'll be the same cheddar cheese crap...

You can replace the stripped stud with an 8mm bolt temporarily, but sort it out for real next time you have the front wheel off.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        These studs strip out sooner or later on almost every GS.

They're pretty easy to replace. Remove at least one with a big pair of Vice-Grips and go get new 8mm studs from a real auto parts store or a real hardware store (NOT AutoClownz or Advance, NOT Meanards, bLowes, or Home Despot). Make sure they're the same length or a bit longer.

Or order them from Suzuki, but they'll be the same cheddar cheese crap...

You can replace the stripped stud with an 8mm bolt temporarily, but sort it out for real next time you have the front wheel off.
        Thanks Bwringer. Sorry I am not quite understanding yet.

So they pull out from the bottom? Or do I just tear down the forks and they "drop in" from the inside?

And if they pull out from the bottom, how do you pound them back in.. with a nut on the end and a hammer? Use any adhesive?
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

They thread into the bottom.

It is basically just allthread. If you want to get them in tight, use two nuts tightened against each other and run it in like a bolt.

Comment

They simply unscrew from the fork.

No pounding.

Studs are basically headless bolts. They look sort of like this:

(This is just an example photo. This may or may not be the right size.)

These studs are held in with Loctite (a bit of glue in the threads) so they'll be a little difficult to unscrew. Heating them up a little with a torch will help loosen the thread locking compound.

You'll need to clamp down hard on the stud with a large set of vice-grips and unscrew the stud. It'll take a good bit of force to get it moving.

To install the new ones, don't use the Vice-grips or you'll mess up the threads. Apply a bit of blue Loctite, then install two 8mm nuts tightened against each other on the outer end. Use a wrench on these nuts to screw in the stud.

You'll also want to install new nuts and washers while you're at it. Be aware that most 8mm nuts you'll find in the US will have a 13mm hex, not 12mm like stock Suzuki.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks guys that is not as intimidating as I had envisioned.

Not only is this a very helpful site for my motorcycle dilemmas... but the best stress reliever other than riding.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Heating them up a little with a torch will help loosen the thread locking compound.
                A propane torch is the safest, you have to work to get things too hot with it. Oxy-Acetylene can cause real damage in a hurry in the wrong hands.

You'll need to clamp down hard on the stud with a large set of vice-grips and unscrew the stud. It'll take a good bit of force to get it moving.
                A small pipe wrench works much better for this than vise-grips, it bites better and keeps biting no matter how hard you turn the stud instead of slipping off like the vise-grips do.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I couldn't find any local hardware stored that carried the 8mm bolts so I just went ahead and ordered 4 from Suzuki so I would always have spares...

... then I remembered I had an extra set of forks out in the shop. I just used vise grips and it unscrewed with a very tight grip and a little persuasion.

SO, I guess I will have 4 new ones sitting around. ...

(Regarding Stocking up - I need to do the same for 8mm valve stems because they are hard to find locally also. The bike shop I called wanted $20 for one and they should be in the $3 to $5 range. Discount tire ended up having one they just gave me, although it was chrome and not aluminum so it was heavier. )
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

I, actually, bought a set for a Ford water pump at the auto parts store while I waited for the OEM ones to come in. There were 8 studs and 8, locking type, black oxide flange nuts. Seemed to work fine (didn't use the nuts) . The Suzuki studs are a higher quality.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X