soft front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soft front forks

I recently re-redid the front fork seals. All seemed to be good, there are no visible leaks of fluid and it is holding air.

now they provide no resistance except for the springs. they bottom out just rocking it and holding the brake.

air pressure is where its supposed to be, and showed no sign of leaking with soapy water test.

ideas?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2014, 05:44 PM.

Sonic fork springs.

No air pressure.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Sonic fork springs.

No air pressure.
      it's holding air fine though, even over inflated to check. I would like better springs eventually, but I don't think thats my current issue.

Comment

Sonic fork springs.

No air pressure.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

no air pressure

wrong oil weight/level
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by detorn View Post
            it's holding air fine though, even over inflated to check. I would like better springs eventually, but I don't think thats my current issue.
            No, your 'current issue' is that your stock springs, which were too weak when they were inserted in the tubes in Japan, are even weaker now, and REALLY need to be replaced.

Progressive fork springs are about $75 from Z1 Enterprises, Sonic springs are about $80, direct from Sonic. For what it's worth, the owners of both of those places are members here, and I don't think they will be offended if you choose the other's springs.

With either one, you will get a better spring rate (you can choose the rate with Sonic) and will not have to add ANY air to hold the front end up.

The quantity or viscosity of oil in the forks will not determine whether you can bottom the forks, only how quickly you can bottom them. To keep from bottoming, you need spring pressure. The oil just keeps the motion slower and smoother.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Sonic fork springs. No air pressure.
              No problems!!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Also, cartridge emulators are great, too!

1979 GS1000

Comment

I recently re-redid the front fork seals. All seemed to be good, there are no visible leaks of fluid and it is holding air.

now they provide no resistance except for the springs. they bottom out just rocking it and holding the brake.

air pressure is where its supposed to be, and showed no sign of leaking with soapy water test.

ideas?
                  How were they before? Do you have the same amount of air pressure in them after the seals as before? Did you replace the oil with the same weight and amount? Did you forget to put the spring preload spacers back in? How much static sag did you have before? How much sag now?

It sounds to me like your oil is way low and allowing the easy bottoming or you forgot the preload spacers on top of the springs.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Sonic springs

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      No, your 'current issue' is that your stock springs, which were too weak when they were inserted in the tubes in Japan, are even weaker now, and REALLY need to be replaced.
                      The springs don't get weaker from being compressed 30 years, but they get shorter. This combined with the fact that they were much too weak to begin with makes spring replacement mandatory if you want anything resembling a safe bike to ride.

+1 on the cartiridge emulators, too.
                      The two together with decent rear shocks, if setup correctly, will let it handle like a bike from the nineties. Early nineties maybe.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        How were they before? Do you have the same amount of air pressure in them after the seals as before? Did you replace the oil with the same weight and amount? Did you forget to put the spring preload spacers back in? How much static sag did you have before? How much sag now?
                        Mark
                        they were fine before the work. they were fine even a couple days after. I suspect I just did something wrong. there are no preload spacers. The oil weight in there I know is not correct as well, but like I said they were good for a day or two after. may finally give in and take it to a shop.

Comment

... may finally give in and take it to a shop.
                          Take it to a shop and all bets are off.

Good luck. Hope you can find a shop that will let it in the door and/or might do a decent job.

There is no doubt, however, that it will NOT be cheap.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The forks are not complicated.
                            You are probably right in that you made some sort of assembling error in one or both forks. There are lots of pics around showing how the go together.
                            You should take them apart again and find the problem. You probably won't have to separate the tubes.

Better find the issue yourself than to take the bike to some shop and pay them to find out you are an idiot and end up kicking your own ass all the way home.

re-work is pretty common.

if you can afford to take it to a shop, you can afford new springs. If not the old springs can be cut (cut soft end) and replaced with a length of spacer.

the fact that there are no preload spacers seems strange.
                            is the flat washer with no hole on top of the spring?
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                              is the flat washer with no hole on top of the spring?
                              no there was no washer at either end of the spring.

edit: looking at the breakout there is no washer at the top, but there is one at the bottom of the spring that I'm pretty sure is not there.

Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2014, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X